Poll on large crab.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The crab goes or the crab stays?

• Stays

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GuamSalt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I haven't posted for a while. I currently have two nano reef aquariums (12 gallon) for which I have upgraded the lighting. In one I have two clownfish with nice live rock and some small troica snails. When I first started it up, there was a small volunteer crab. In a couple of months the crab has grown to 1.25" in body width and its 2" from elbow to elbow. It creates small caves in the sand / gravel under the live rock. Some of my other hermit crabs seem to be disappering. The crab adds interest to the tank but I'm beginning to wonder if it's going to be dangerous to the fish or to other potential occupants. What's the concensus? The crab goes or the crab stays?

Guamsalt

It goes! Crabs are opportunistic predators. If a fish, shrimp, snail, etc presents itself, the crab will seize the opportunity, and you'll be left wondering where that new animal went(don't you just love that! ha). FWIW there are very few crabs that will not cause problems overtime in a reef, especially smaller tanks. A pic or better description of it will help to rule any of them out.

Moved thread*

Yes...get the crabby guy out of your tank! If you had a larger tank with a fuge that would be a good place for him...Mike is right...they will cause problems!!!

Back
Top Bottom