Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to chris stevens
Polyps spreading out

I have a small group of polyps at the center of my tank, and near the top. Water flow is moderate. They are looking extremely robust and healthy, which is fine by me, but I want the colony to spread out and cover a larger area, should I move them to a weaker lighted area of the tank?

the field of unpopular music is wide open
chris stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
How long have they been there and what kind of polyps. It can take months for them to start to spread and if your tank is new it could be longer. And it depends on your water quality and lighting. Info on tank would be helpful.....

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
If they aren't spreading/growing/multiplying fast enough for your liking I would be inclined to try target feeding them before I'd try lowering their light ration. As Seaham said it is also important that your conditions are good as well (so you have to be very careful about your husbandry should you try target feeding them).

I've had a small cluster of pink zoos that is just finally starting to fill out some and I've had them since March. They're by no means starting to "take over" anything, but at least they're beginning to multiply.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Polyps are different. I had a small colony of pink buttons that multiplied slow enough so that one day I just looked at them and realized that they filled in really nicely. I got another small rock of orange buttons (probably 10 to 15 polyps) that spread like crazy when I gave it something to spread onto. I have another small rock of deep blue polyps that started with 6 polyps and is now above 20, but I can't get it to spread to other rocks. And still another rock with orange and green polyps that refuses to spread at all, even on itself. I might try target feeding them though to see if I can get them going.

hisc1ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Do you put anything like coral - vite or coral accell in your tank. Some kind of vitamins or groth accelerator
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

polyp, polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com