Pondering Salt Mix Change - Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amahler

Aquarium Advice Activist
My system is currently operating on Kent Marine Sea Salt (and the former owner of the system used it pretty much exclusively as well). It costs me about $18 a bag locally for the 50 gallon mix.

Other local options are Instant Ocean which I can get in a 200 gallon mix bucket for about $55. The LFS also has Crystal Seas BioAssay for about $41 for the 150 gallon mix.

I can order the 200 gallon bucket of Kent online with the freight for about $63 vs the LFS ordering it for me (they don't stock the buckets) at around $70 (not a big difference, I know, but delivery to the door is nice for a 60 pound bucket).

Any thoughts on whether I should stick with the Kent or make a switch to a readily available different salt that is less expensive? I've gotten the impression that the Kent salt is really excellent stuff, so I'm willing to pay the higher prices if that is, in fact, the case. If not, however, or if one of the others is both better and cheaper, I'd be willing to make the transition.

I know asking for "the best salt" happens all the time and there is seldom a unified or even correct answer. I guess I'm seeking opinions on quality combined with the nuisance and/or benefits of changing. How slow would one want to transition?

Thanks!
- Aaron

I find my salt to be cheaper purchased on line so even though my LFS carries my salt brand I never purchase it from them. I don't really care to pay more for the inconvenience of going there to pick it up. I suppose there's something to be said for a salt that you *could* purchase locally in some quantity if need be, but otherwise I say ship it!

Phyl,

I agree, which is why paying a bit less AND having it brought to the door (in a 60 pound bucket) is definitely appealing. :)

Thanks!
- Aaron

I don't feel IO salt is very good. It has low calcium and high alkalinity, which isn't very reef friendly IMO. I used it, and when it was gone, I switched to Oceanic salt, and it's been a steady improvment in the tank. It also dissolves fully, where IO did not.

Biggest thing though, is if you change brands, do smaller water changes so they fish (and especially inverts/corals) don't get stressed from the slightly different chemistry of the new salt.

Malkore... If you have extra saved over salt... could you also mix the two while you're doing the slow, smaller water changes? Seems like it would make the transition smooth as well.

Everything I have read says not to mix 2 salts when switching. When I swtich from IO to Oceanic, I just did smaller water changes a bit more frequently.

Was really easy and I had no issues. I love Oceanic.

No you shouldn't mix the two salt brands. Use one up, then start with the new. they may not 'mesh' well together when mixing.

Back
Top Bottom