Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

thanks was a big $ scaping wasn't cheap
I know to bad it don't exist any more , been through 2 upgrades since , I do miss those tanks , but one must go bigger

Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It has no buffering capacity and I would be cautious of silica content.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
The old debate......which brings back the question of the tank glass. If quartz sand leaches silica, does aquarium glass?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

No, I don't believe it does. I think the silica is very fine in the sand and most can be washed out. Most.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
I used play sand in my first tank the only thing was it was a cayno factory for around the first 8 months the sand was supposed to be silica free , any way after things came around the sand had a nice white glow to it ,
this is how it looked when I set it up than the beginnings of the cayno war , than after things cleaned up , I never let the cayno keep me from adding coral

you mean diatoms, don't you?
diatoms is what will bloom with a silicate based sand and those pics look like diatoms.

I just added some aragonite rock and sand and I am now enjoying the anticipated diatom bloom, luckily it is relatively minor.

nice little tank by the way.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All the pool filter sand I have used has come from a single source, the home depot. I even bought a silica test cause I was curious and after testing I have always come out with zero silicates. I have on occassion had diatoms when using it, but I use alot of dead rock too so that may be the cause. Either way, I have used it on tanks that were up for a couple years and had no ill effects. I even used it for a dsb in my 125g. had like 400lbs of sand in that baby. lol
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I ran into this article last year and felt like i should dig it up again. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1
Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Very good article. I noted this;

"Take a close look at some commercial “silica” sand. It isn’t even close to being white, which an absolutely pure quartz sand will be. There are all sorts of different colored particulates in it (some are even magnetic and can be picked out with a magnet). Without going into detail on mineralogy, suffice to say that there are many minerals that readily dissolve to release silicate into the water. Such dissolution is why freshwater rivers contain so much silica (typically 150 mM (9 ppm SiO2)).4 Your sand claims to be 98% quartz? What about that other 2%? Two percent of a 50-pound bag of sand is a pound of “other stuff”".

Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
We have no pure white quartz sand here. Most of our sand is from Jersey and it's pretty much beige...and not light beige either.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

If you will look at an MSDS sheet for silica sand, such as this one, http://www.mcpur.com/main/library/ms...el_1237819.pdf you will note at the bottom that it is insoluble in water. That is is why it is specified for sand filters. For swimming pool sand filters the spec is a #20 sharp inert sand, such as silica. Obviously it can't be soluble to work.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Pool filter sand

I guess the point is you need to use pure Quartz sand to not only avoid excess silica fines, but more important IMO it's the other soluble garbage it might have in it. Kind of like using tap water, most of its pure H20, but what's not can ruin your day.

Tags
filter, pool, pool filter sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com