Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Pool filter sand

I remember a discussion a while back where people used pool filter sand in their reef tanks.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I know Carey has used it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My friend used it and didn't have any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've used it in at least a dozen tanks with no ill effects. Deep sands and regular depth as well. The only time I dont use it is when I want a certain look, such as pink fiji, which I have used a couple times as well.

I find the pool filter sand to be a good consistency for sifters and not too fine that it blows everywhere. And really, can you beat like $8 for 40lbs? lol
Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I've used it in at least a dozen tanks with no ill effects. Deep sands and regular depth as well. The only time I dont use it is when I want a certain look, such as pink fiji, which I have used a couple times as well.

I find the pool filter sand to be a good consistency for sifters and not too fine that it blows everywhere. And really, can you beat like $8 for 40lbs? lol
Haha thats a good point do you happen to have any pictures of it you could share?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The only difference is that it's made from quartz and not calcium. It's fine to use if you like the look of it.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It has no buffering capacity and I would be cautious of silica content.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a little bit of extra money I got from graduation and I was toying with the idea of setting up the new 29g hex I was given as a salt water tank. It wasn't much so it would have had to be on the super cheap hence the wondering about pool filter sand.

I decided instead to buy a doser and some other things for my 90g and hold off on the hex until I can afford to do it properly. Either that, or buy a 50g ish column tank.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I used play sand in my first tank the only thing was it was a cayno factory for around the first 8 months the sand was supposed to be silica free , any way after things came around the sand had a nice white glow to it ,
this is how it looked when I set it up than the beginnings of the cayno war , than after things cleaned up , I never let the cayno keep me from adding coral

Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks awesome!

Tags
filter, pool, pool filter sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com