Poop question...Gross I know. Wondering. And sleep question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissamustang

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok This is gross but what do you think? My fish poo like normal. When they do other fish eat it......normally its when they eat nori. Wow gross. But my question is could it hurt the other fish? And what about corals benefit or hurt? Weird I know but you wont know until you ask....right?

Sleep question. What if the fish are not still and resting? Some of our tangs do not stay still. Just thinking this may stress them. what do you think.......They may sleep when I do. When I get up in the middle of the night I always look in the tank for a few min and they are always swimming around.

Fish poop is a natural item on a lot of menus of marine animals. Corals, fish, inverts...bacteria etc. eat poop. Cucumbers, damsels, tangs, starfish, some worms, and so one regularly eat poop. Even coral. Gross to us, yes, but quite natural to them.

Tangs are open water swimmers. They will always swim around, but they do rest. Perhaps you awaken the fish when you peep inside the tank and it's swimming around to see what's up.

Does the tank get a dark period? Even my tangs hide in/under the rocks while they're "sleeping". The tank does need a period of mostly darkness though or the fish will remain fidgety and not get their beauty sleep.

My clown never stops. He will almost lay at the bottom but never actually just rests. There are plenty of hiding spots for him and he seems to favor one corner of the tank. Could this be a problem also?

Yes the tank does have a dark period.

thanks for the answers. I just wonder about things.

They are very curious buggers. I hope I do not scare or stress them by checking in on them.

Back
Top Bottom