Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have forgotten everything about saltwater tanks, so I'm thinking outside the box... but can u test your testing chemicals? Can u make a known solution containing something that should test positive and test that. Just to be sure your testing chemicals are good.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I guess I'm just confused by the fact that you feed a lot and have a high bioload but your skimmer doesn't pull much.
Are the sps brown or just pale? They don't really look brown in the pics

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Are the sps brown or just pale? They don't really look brown in the pics
It's a mixed bag, really. A few are pale, and some went from striking blues to just brown.

And yeah, unless I skim very "wet", I don't get much at all.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Hmm yeah I understand my skimmer is similar. Maybe go the month without a water change and test for nitrates an phosphates. If they appear problem solved. If not then its still a mystery
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If they are all exhibiting different symptoms, I would not think it's one issue. I also would not judge your water quality by the Aqua-c's performance. I've had experience with the regular model and I found it to be about worthless.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I can't see 2 T5's supporting acro coral at all. I had a 4 bulb over my tank and acro at the top would brown. I switched to LED and the color came back. I kill myself to keep my parameters perfect for my sps coral, the thought of purposely dirty'n up the water to bring color back is killing me over here...lol
Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaker View Post
It's a mixed bag, really. A few are pale, and some went from striking blues to just brown.

And yeah, unless I skim very "wet", I don't get much at all.
what kind of pump are you using? I was using the maxijet 1200 and it hardly skimmed but I upgraged and now I get a full cup of dark green water every 3 days. There is a better pump but I can't remember what it's called right now, I'm sure you can google it if you're using the maxijet.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, all these replies are fantastic. Thank you!

I'm using the Maxi Jet 900 which came with the remora nano. I did email aquaC a while back regarding the pump, and they recommended against bumping up to the MJ 1200, as they indicated it would be too much for their "nano" skimmer.

Yes, @Animal-Chin, the thought of "dirtying" up my water does go against everything one is taught. But is there a balance to strike? I've read forum posts where people struggle to keep nitrates at 40. I've never read even 5, and I don't think I'm doing anything particularly special.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So the general consensus here seems to indicate lights might be part of the issue. So question, what do people think a good distance should be from the lights to the water? I'm sitting at 8 inches off the water now. I have about 8 inches of water depth. I obviously have some room to move it down. How close do you think I should have the lights off of the water? Should I go down an inch a week, or do something different?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Poor SPS color in Low nutrient system

You posted a couple of things I found confusing. You report no measurable organics in your tanks, but your water exchange and feeding schedules makes that look pretty near impossible to me. If excess food is going in the sump and you are filter feeding, with the skimmer not making any skimmate, doesn't added up to me very well. Where are the organics going? i would double check those phosphate and nitrate numbers.

SPS corals look brown when in higher organic laden systems with not enough light. They color up as organics go down and lighten up when lighting levels go up and the excess algae stops growing in their flesh.

I wouldn't dirty up the water IMO. In some systems with certain types of filters, or systems that carbon dose, there can be an imbalance between nitrates and phosphates. In those cases some will add nitrates to help bacterial growth when nitrogen becomes limited. It takes 16 times more nitrate to build a cell than it does phosphates, so when nitrates go to zero, you need another mechanism to bind phosphates, like GFO or phosguard. But I doubt that's your issue.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #30
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Filter feeder food is phosphates in a bottle. I'd check out those tests.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, sps, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com