Poorly or stressed regal tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANCUNIA13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed that my regal tang(DORY) is not acting the same she just hides behind rocks and only comes out to feed, she's lost weight and colour, she is normally 1 of our most lively fish, any advise or has anyone else had this happen to them, does (did) she get back to her old ways ???

It's a trigon 190 we've had her from the start always a fun fish to look after, had the water checked at wkend nothing major with levels but did the recommended 10% water change as we tend to do by the advise of our lfs.

He's eating frozen food (shrimp) we defrost first then strain of the water before feeding. The other fish are all fine, swimming round and all eating well, it's just our regal tang who seems to be acting different, hope we don't loose her. Sorry about late reply.

Could very well be stressed from being in a tank smaller than it needs. You tank is aprox 50 gal and looking at it's triangular dimensions, it's only 38" x 27" x 23". Regals get big (up to 1 foot in length) and need a 6' tank to feel comfortable in the long run.

Is it your only tang? Tangs are primarily herbivorous grazers, placing some nori on a veggie clip daily might help. Before blaming the tank size, check the diet.

If you have a New Era dealer nearby, Marine Grazer is quite good as well.

MikeYQM said:
Is it your only tang? Tangs are primarily herbivorous grazers, placing some nori on a veggie clip daily might help. Before blaming the tank size, check the diet.

If you have a New Era dealer nearby, Marine Grazer is quite good as well.

+1 above

I have a regal tang in my 55 gal and he's really healthy and fat lol!! I feed him nori everyday with my flame angel and feed the other fish every other day. His future home is n process, 250 gal :)

Back
Top Bottom