Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-24-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Porcelain Crabs

I know porcelain crabs are generally OK in a reef tank. I'm just wondering if you can have too many? 'Cause I have a lot! I must have 15 to 20 that are easy to spot and I think they are reproducing. It seems like every other day I find a new tiny one (barely bigger than sesame seed!). Is it possible for them to reproduce one or two at a time? I would think I'd see a ton of eggs followed by a bunch of little ones.

Just curious as to whether too many could be a problem and if they really are reproducing.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I apologize if my last remarks sounded condescending . . . that means when you talk down to people."
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
never heard of this happening ur right to assume they are reef safe, since they are filter feeder, but WOW u have a lot. I cant see them hurtung anything unless they were to all die off at once or something.

xxmoorishmanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I have had 2 for almost a year. Never seen any signs of reproduction. As long as they filter feed(wave the fans ) you should be ok.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
If you want to give some away, I have some space in my tank. My other one could use some company!
phishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Wow, thats a ton! 8O
Keep them fed. They may be a mellow species, but they are still well equiped crabs.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

crab, crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com