Porcupine Puffer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
stay with me for a second while I give you some background.

I've always been a fan of aggressive tanks. I just started a 110 gallon fowlr about 3 months ago with the intention of getting a zebra moray. I got about 100lbs of lr from lr.com and it came with so many cool crabs, shrimp, and stars, that I couldn't part with them. I decided to do a community tank. I bought a serpent star, 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, and 1 yellow watchman gobie so far.

Now, I'm back to digging an eel - possibly a more reasonably sized snowflake. My chick (that's my wife, who is very understanding with my sexist nicknames) has been very understanding with the THOUSANDS that I've spent on this hobby so far and the only fish she ever loved was a Porcupine Puffer. I know they are not reef safe and I know the eel will pick off all my crabs and shrimp anyway.

I realize that the eel may take a bite out of the goby or the clowns depending on its personality, but my question (finally) is about the Porcupine Puffer. I've read mixed comments from folks saying how they are very peaceful with other fish and many have no problems with them sharing space with clowns and gobies - which surprises me. Then, I read things about how aggressive this fish is and that it will eat many smaller fish and even hermit crabs and snails.

Can someone give me some feedback? Will the addition of a Porcupine Puffer mean that I need to get rid of my gobie, my clowns, and my starfish as I suspect? I'm assuming the tang would be okay and that with a puffer, eel, and tang I'm pretty near my stocking limit.

Thanks - all. I'm so undecided with what I want in my tank now it's out of control.

- Skins

I love the porcupine puffer as well; my favorite fish. It's a shame I can't keep it in my upcoming reef tank as at the very least it will eat all the crabs and snails, and at most destroy my corals as well.

So, other than the fish - I can expect that it would eat not only my crabs and shrimp - but my snails and hermit crabs as well? How about my starfish and urchins? Goners?

Oooooo, I don't know if I can part with my starfish, hermits, and urchins.

I'd bet they would all be "goners" The other fish you mentioned should be alright as long as there are some hiding places.

Kim

I have read posts for some people that have done them in reef tanks but I think it would be a big gamble. I had a dog live with a few hermits and snails. He did pick on them on occasion though.

Sounds like another tank is in order :)

I have a puffer that was good when he was younger but as he aged so did his appetite for hermit crabs. Also i had a sand starfish that was mysteriously hanging out of puffers mouth one evening. So they do have a big appetite and good luck!

I thought I was reading my own story (the wife understanding about the $ I spend on this, and the fish she really likes is the porcupine puffer) when I saw this, haha. I ended up getting a separate tank for the porcupine. The "boss" always wins!!!

Well, the boss is also the accountant - so, another tank is quite out of the question :)

I think all puffers are agressive, SW or FW or brackish. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard nothing but horror stories. I was glad when my little puffer I purchased at petco got stuck to the filter intake. He was in the tank less than an hour before he started acting like a jailhouse bully.

My chick (that's my wife, who is very understanding with my sexist nicknames) has been very understanding with the THOUSANDS that I've spent on this hobby so far
Maybe your chick could talk some sense into my chick? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom