Porcupine Puffer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ogden10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious as to what, and how often everyone feeds their puffers. Mine is still young and fairly small, approx 4 inches. I have been feeding him about 2 silversides every day. This is in the hopes of keeping him happy and well fed until my new larger tank is up and running. My well meaning wife got him for me as a present not knowing that a reef tank is not exactly the ideal home for him. So far so good, has not eaten anyone :lol:

Anyway, I do not want to overfeed him, or pollute the tank. Also I have read that you must give them hard shell items to keep their beaks worn down. Is this true and if so what do you suggest?

TIA

I would try to feed the puffer a variety of foods and not just silversides all the time. You can try any meaty foods such as shrimp, squid, krill etc.. Another good idea would be to soak these foods in vitamins before feeding it to the puffer to insure he revieves all the nutrition he needs.

Feeding once a day sounds good to me, don't worry if the puffer always seems to be hungry, that's just how they are. When I had my porcupine everytime I walked in my room he'd come racing over to me looking for food.

Also try feeding foods like small live clams, mussels and other small "inshell" foods. The shell will help keep the puffers beak in check. As they grow, so will the beak and the shells will help keep it filed down. If the beak gets too large it will not be able to feed properly...

Cheers
Steve

I currently feed mine a variety of snails, squid, krill, fresh shrimp, clams, and scallops...rotating around each day. It's easy to get a variety from the market and thaw accordingly each day. IME, this is a big bodied fish that even as a juvenile does better with 2 feedings a day. But, as mentioned, it will ALWAYS appear hungry so don't fall for the begging! A picture is available in my gallery.

Just remember the old saying that fish are normally "killed with kindness" dont over feed only what he eats in one min i use to feed once a day with a variaty krill, snails,shrimp

Back
Top Bottom