Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Porkie puffer and carpet neme's

I have a question. We just upgraded our 54g corn tank to a 180g tank. Our "old" tank has a rather docile, but large 6" or so porkie puffer. I want to drip him into my new tank tonight, which by itself is fine. I wanted to also get this week, a carpet neme. Does anyone think the puffer would pick at the neme? He pretty much keeps to himself and swims around. He doesn't nip at rocks or chew on anything but mysis and krill. We have had a cuc I. The old tank and he left the alone. I really love my puffer, awesome personality but I am dying for a neme to host a mated clown pair we have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paula

Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had a saddle carpet anemone, anything picking at him was never a concern. Him catching and eating anything that came near him was my problem. One damsel, one hawkfish, multiple crabs and snail all became snacks. And he grew very fast. Good luck.

125 gl (72.5x18.5x22), 33 breeder tank sump, 3 maxspect led, Diablo protein skimmer, 1"live sand base, 175lbs live rock, 2 Orange Clowns, 1 yellow tang, lawnmower blenny,several mushrooms and leather corals, a couple small acro's and a standard cuc. Tank transferred from 55 on 24 Dec 2011
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the carpet expensive? I wouldn't try it if it was expensive. You'll never know until you try, but puffers are definitely not safe with corals. Short-term might work, but they are pretty curious and may take a test bite at one point over the next several years.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Is the carpet expensive? I wouldn't try it if it was expensive. You'll never know until you try, but puffers are definitely not safe with corals. Short-term might work, but they are pretty curious and may take a test bite at one point over the next several years.
I saw a few green ones at a pretty good price at the Lfs, so I was going to try one. They were a nice size. I certainly wouldn't experiment with a red saddle or anything crazy. I think it was on sale for less than 30. We did put the puffer in the big tank tonight after a lengthy drip. Let's see how the puffer does this week. I am out of town, but the hubby is home. I don't want to get the neme and leave for the week. Hubby is about the fish, I am about the rest of the tank and he wouldn't know how the care for the neme.

Thanks for the advice all

Paula
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So the puffer, Peetie, was fully dripped and in the tank last night. He is like a pig in you know what, oh wait, he is a pig!!! He is swimming all over the place, and checked out the new digs. He saw his old buddies, so it was comforting to him ( at least it is what I believe). He ate and all is good. Now, time to look for the neme... I want a purple one, but because I don't know if he will be eaten, I'll stick with standard green. Keep you posted!!

Tags
carpet, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com