Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Possible cheap temp controller...?

I'd like to have a temp controller for my cooling fan. Right now I just have it run when the lights are on.

http://www.amazon.com/ESU-Reptile-El...8?tag2=gp04-20
$25 but it would need the wiring to be reversed somehow. It's designed to control a heater, rather than a cooler.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Contro...075338?ie=UTF8
$58 and I think it would work out of the box. Only goes up to 80F but that's fine with me.

Sure, these aren't digital and don't have LCD displays but do I really need that? Once it's working, it's going to sit behind my tank and never be seen.

Lastly, there is this digital one with LCD display but it requires some DIY wiring.
http://www.reefcentral.com/diy/ranco...rature_con.htm
$48 (supposedly)

Thoughts/comments/suggestions/experiences?

Old 09-01-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Don't you only need cooling when the lights are on? I go from 78 to 82 degrees w/3x150 MH and 4x96 Actinics in a hood. Turn fans on with a $25 power center/strip when the lights go on and keep it at 78 w/no problem.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=ES01692

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's how I have it now. Yes, I only need cooling when the lights are on... but ... do I always need cooling when the lights are on? Maybe not. Maybe the fan really only needs to run half the time, and even less during the winter.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've thought a million times about a controller to cycle the fan on and off depending on the water temp reading. Both of these look like viable solutions...but...... The first choice, I'd be a bit concernened about the probe submersed in water unless it's rated for submersion. The second choice uses a copper tube with a tiny amount of expanding "refrigerant" in the sensing bulb. These types of devices are commonly found in your home refrigerators and air conditioners. I'd be REALLY concerned about the long term effects of submersing a copper probe into an aquarium, especially a reef tank!

Once again, I have detailed knowlege of the inner workings of these devices. PM me for more if interested
Old 09-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I figured I'd cover the probe with something. Shrink wrap, maybe. I'm sure that part of the problem is easily solved.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd proceed with caution. Water will find the smallest crevices. Also, once again, If Iwere submersing ANY electrcial device, I'd use GFI protection and a titanium ground probe.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good points. Thanks.

Tags
controller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com