Possible mantis tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya that tread almost made me order a nuvo, and I've never been a fan of AIO's. And no I would never use crushed coral, mainly because it promotes the destruction if natural reefs which kinda makes the hobby look bad, not to mention that it traps detritus. Most of the black aragonite is pretty heavy sand IME or just a heavier of what ever color you choose

Nuvo I have is glass with some plastic bits that make up the overflow and sump area. It's a very nice tank. I seriously doubt a Mantis can smash it. And if there was an outside chance it could it think it would be the bottom. A pretty thin sheet of egg crate or acrylic under the sand bed should eliminate any possible breakage of the bottom. The stories you hear are usually about smaller tanks made of much thinner material than a Nuvo.

That's a nice tank. I think I wanna go cheaper. The mantis doesn't need an extravagant setup. Lol. He doesn't care what his tank looks like as long as he has stuff to kill.

Why must you make me dream of another build when I'm not done the one I'm currently on, on that note for a tank like this I really like the dimensions of a 33 gallon long, same footprint as a 55 just shorter

I have a stand for a 55 already too. Lol. But it seems like a large tank for a little guy who's gonna hide a lot. I dunno. It's something to consider.

Hey I want to be the first one to wish you a happy birthday!!! :) hope it's a great one for you!! And for the mantis. I've never had one. But they do look cool!! Make sure you post pics!!

Hey I want to be the first one to wish you a happy birthday!!! :) hope it's a great one for you!! And for the mantis. I've never had one. But they do look cool!! Make sure you post pics!!

Thanks! I'm getting the tank hopefully sometime in February so it'll be a bit before I add him. But yeah I'll post pics and probably make a build thread. I still am trying to find out from anyone who's owned a mantis if there's anything I should know. I've done a lot of research though.

WE are doing a thread you mean? Sure! We can be mantis buds. Lol. But for serious, I'm buying my tank this month. Sooooo will you cycle with me? Lol

Ok so I'm most likely getting my tank this weekend if the weather holds up. If I get it, it's a used 30 gal acrylic. I wanna do LEDs most likely hung (haven't chosen them yet) and here's where I'm stumped.... Do I get a HOB skimmer and power head with nothing else? Or do I get a HOB refugium and possibly powerhead? The refugium I'd get would be the CPR Aquafuge 2. Or the skimmer would be the reef octopus BH1000 OR the Bak-Pak 2. Anyone have any suggestions as to which route I should take?

Back
Top Bottom