Possible mantis tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't find a used all in one that's acrylic. I found a nice setup for $280 that's glass but the guy never emailed me back. But I really like this acrylic tank and it's dirt cheap.

I would go hob skimmer. IMO most fuges aren't really big enough to do as much nutrient export as a skimmer

I can't find a used all in one that's acrylic. I found a nice setup for $280 that's glass but the guy never emailed me back. But I really like this acrylic tank and it's dirt cheap.

Just saw a CL ad for an acrylic 30 setup with stand outside reading PA for $160

Yup. It's 2 hours from me so he said he'll meet halfway. It doesn't come with a light or anything. It's just the tank, stand and hood. But I think I'll have to take the hood off and hang LEDs. Otherwise it'll get too hot under there. Just hoping the openings in the acrylic top are big enough for a skimmer or whatever I decide on. It's a nice tank and I like the shiny black. Even looks good with the cichlids so I'm sure it'll look even better with a bright colored mantis!!

Yeah and I figured if I get it home and it's not going to work for the mantis then maybe I'll just set it up as a freshwater tank for my kids or something. It's not a huge amount of money.

You don't need to buy acrylic. Mantis shrimps cannot crack glass. A guy at my LFS was hit twice, and he said it isn't bad at all. Just my experience.

Oh I know. I was looking at a glass 30 gal setup but the guy never wrote me back and there was no number. I just don't want a blah 30 gal tank on a crap stand. I want something that looks nice. This will be my 3rd tank so I'm definitely not rushing. If I don't like the acrylic I'll wait and keep looking.

Soooo I just read something today that said the mantis can be housed with turbo snails and CLEANER SHRIMP!?! I'm pretty sure I just saw a video of a mantis trying to eat one. Can anyone confirm if the turbos would be ok? I'm
thinking no.

Probably depends more on how well you keep the mantis fed, I've seen YouTube vids with snails and clown fish in the tank being completely ignored as the mantis is viciously hunting down a crab, chances are they are much like puffers, highly intelligent predators with loads of personality and comparability would depend on the individual

+1 on a mantis by mantis basis. I definitely wouldn't put a cleaner shrimp in there and have a feeling if you kept it well fed a fish or 2 would be ok but wouldn't go with a substrate fish I'd go with a clown or chromis or maybe dwarf angel

Those were my thoughts. I've seen the mantis in with fish but not with anything else. I was planning on having 2-3 fish anyway to keep it cycled because I'm going to special order the mantis and who knows how long that'll take to get in. I was thinking damsels because they're mean and I've never had them. Lol. I have chromis in another tank and they are skiddish and blah. Haha. Well either way I'm picking up my tank on Saturday!

Hahaha I know. I can't wait to get mine. I keep creeping out all my girlfriends with the videos of it killing things. They're all "ewwwww why would you want that?" And I'm like "it's only the coolest thing ever" They don't get it. Plus my house is lacking a conversation piece. :)

Hahaha I know. I can't wait to get mine. I keep creeping out all my girlfriends with the videos of it killing things. They're all "ewwwww why would you want that?" And I'm like "it's only the coolest thing ever" They don't get it. Plus my house is lacking a conversation piece. :)

Yeah they're awesome, so much personality! Definitely post some pics when you get it.

Back
Top Bottom