Possible mantis tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gonna possibly have my buddy make me one. He's like creepy smart with fish and reptiles and plant species and builds enclosures for everything. If I can find a tank to fit under, he can make me a sump.

That's great, he can probably drill your tank for you as well. If he knows acrylic he will know how to drill it. Then building a overflow, or buying a pre made one will set you up with a far more dependable and flexible system.

Home Depot or lowes can cut glass to custom sizes pretty cheap so you could look into a custom tank to fit the stand

Ok here's the deal.... Tell me if this sounds good or bad. Reef octopus bh1000 hob skimmer, eshoppes pf300 overflow box, 5 gal sump with filter sock, and an eheim 2000 return pump (or comparable) I'll add cheato and a light as well to refugium and live rock rubble. Should move about 300-350gph. That's my filtration. My friend is making the 5 gal sump for me. Since the tank isn't drilled I feel like this is my best option. Thoughts?

Ok here's the deal.... Tell me if this sounds good or bad. Reef octopus bh1000 hob skimmer, eshoppes pf300 overflow box, 5 gal sump with filter sock, and an eheim 2000 return pump (or comparable) I'll add cheato and a light as well to refugium and live rock rubble. Should move about 300-350gph. That's my filtration. My friend is making the 5 gal sump for me. Since the tank isn't drilled I feel like this is my best option. Thoughts?

Sounds great except the 5g sump. Can a 10g fit? You always wanna go with the biggest tank that will fit under the display tank.

I was looking at the dimensions and I think a fluval spec v would fit but it also depends on how cheaply your friend will make the sump for you

A 10 gal won't fit. It's ridiculous how small the cabinet is. The acrylic cuts in to hold the door bracket and that cuts back on almost 3 inches. So I'll have to use the 5 gal.

A 10 gal won't fit. It's ridiculous how small the cabinet is. The acrylic cuts in to hold the door bracket and that cuts back on almost 3 inches. So I'll have to use the 5 gal.

I don't know if you was asked this or anything but is the back of the stand open?

No the back of the stand is clear acrylic. I thought the same thing but nope. I'm kinda screwed.

Well if your up for it, why not open the back up? This will give you more room to work with a bigger sump and the back don't show so your safe

Worried that the stand won't be able to support the tank then. I feel like it's there for a reason, ya know? I'll look at it again.

The guy I bought it from was using it for fresh water. I couldn't see the tank in person before purchasing because he lived over two hours away so we met halfway. I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing the bottom had no room. I'm almost thinking of just looking for a used full setup instead.

The guy I bought it from was using it for fresh water. I couldn't see the tank in person before purchasing because he lived over two hours away so we met halfway. I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing the bottom had no room. I'm almost thinking of just looking for a used full setup instead.

How thick is the acrylic on the stand exactly

I wouldn't mess with that stand. Might build a better one eventually. You really need a bigger sump. Can you even fit all that in a 5gallon? On a tank that small a HOB will work okay. I just like sumps.

If u were you and still thinking about the BH-1000 I would spend the extra 30$ and get the BH-2000, I have the 2000 and love it. Yes It may be a little overrated but if your sump problems continue a overrated skimmer may do the job without a sump. You could also get a HOB filter like an aquaclear and convert it to a small Refugium. With a 5g sump you may only get 3G of Refugium space which may be the same size as an aquaclear 110, you could also if you had the extra money get the HOB Refugium that BRS sells. 2 3 or 5 gallon. They are pricey tho

After all this annoyance I'm now just looking for reef ready setups. I'm thinking this tank is a bust. Might just use it for freshwater. Ugh. This is frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom