Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AbsoluteFaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cream Ridge, NJ
Posts: 1,058
Possible mantis tank...

Sooooo my birthday is the first week in February and I was highly considering doing a mantis tank. Been thinking about it for a long time but now that it's my birthday time and tax return time, it seems appropriate! I was thinking of buying the SeaClear 20 or 30 gal acrylic tank with hood. Was wondering if anyone that had a mantis could chime in on it's waste. I wanted to do a HOB filter rated for a larger size tank. Also I'm guessing lighting isn't an issue because there will be no corals etc. just wondering if this setup could work (with a heater of course) or would I have to run a canister or sump. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
__________________

__________________
AbsoluteFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye View Post
Sooooo my birthday is the first week in February and I was highly considering doing a mantis tank. Been thinking about it for a long time but now that it's my birthday time and tax return time, it seems appropriate! I was thinking of buying the SeaClear 20 or 30 gal acrylic tank with hood. Was wondering if anyone that had a mantis could chime in on it's waste. I wanted to do a HOB filter rated for a larger size tank. Also I'm guessing lighting isn't an issue because there will be no corals etc. just wondering if this setup could work (with a heater of course) or would I have to run a canister or sump. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sweet! You definitely should. A 30 would be great for a small peacock mantis. Stomatopods aren't big fans of intense light anyway so a dimmer light would probably be appreciated. I think you'd be fine with a hob as they're messy but doubt they'd overload a system by themselves.
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,543
Lighting can be an issue. Mantis don't like bright light, at all. Darker the better from all I've heard.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Possible mantis tank...

It's a great idea. I want one too. My only caution is that shrimp like very consistent conditions and the smaller the tank, the harder that is to achieve. I would imagine the Mantis would require similar care.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It's a great idea. I want one too. My only caution is that shrimp like very consistent conditions and the smaller the tank, the harder that is to achieve. I would imagine the Mantis would require similar care.
Mantis aren't a shrimp but a stomatopod. But yes care would be similar except mantis are killing machines!
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Mantis aren't a shrimp but a stomatopod. But yes care would be similar except mantis are killing machines!

Yes, I was aware of this, but assumed they would be similar in care as most shrimp are. Except the killing part of course...
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Yes, I was aware of this, but assumed they would be similar in care as most shrimp are. Except the killing part of course...
Oh haha gotcha . Read it wrong lol.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Here's a mantis shrimp gem for everyone
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fleetwood PA.
Posts: 168
That video is seriously funny, thanks for sharing.
__________________
JonathanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
PrettyFishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Here's a mantis shrimp gem for everyone
__________________

__________________
125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Skirted Tetra with possible Fish Spinning Disease Possible Ick? Skokie181 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 1 04-07-2013 11:08 AM
Possible Mantis Shrimp ScubaGirl Saltwater & Reef - Identification 6 06-21-2011 11:47 PM
POD question, possible mantis fry? Brisc0 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 12 02-29-2004 05:12 PM
Well....I saw the Mantis in my tank... BONESTOCK Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 02-06-2004 07:51 PM
Nano Mantis tank-algae over growth? Sneaker Nano Reefs 20 11-30-2003 10:28 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.