Possible mantis tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sooooo my birthday is the first week in February and I was highly considering doing a mantis tank. Been thinking about it for a long time but now that it's my birthday time and tax return time, it seems appropriate! I was thinking of buying the SeaClear 20 or 30 gal acrylic tank with hood. Was wondering if anyone that had a mantis could chime in on it's waste. I wanted to do a HOB filter rated for a larger size tank. Also I'm guessing lighting isn't an issue because there will be no corals etc. just wondering if this setup could work (with a heater of course) or would I have to run a canister or sump. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sooooo my birthday is the first week in February and I was highly considering doing a mantis tank. Been thinking about it for a long time but now that it's my birthday time and tax return time, it seems appropriate! I was thinking of buying the SeaClear 20 or 30 gal acrylic tank with hood. Was wondering if anyone that had a mantis could chime in on it's waste. I wanted to do a HOB filter rated for a larger size tank. Also I'm guessing lighting isn't an issue because there will be no corals etc. just wondering if this setup could work (with a heater of course) or would I have to run a canister or sump. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sweet! You definitely should. A 30 would be great for a small peacock mantis. Stomatopods aren't big fans of intense light anyway so a dimmer light would probably be appreciated. I think you'd be fine with a hob as they're messy but doubt they'd overload a system by themselves.

It's a great idea. I want one too. My only caution is that shrimp like very consistent conditions and the smaller the tank, the harder that is to achieve. I would imagine the Mantis would require similar care.

It's a great idea. I want one too. My only caution is that shrimp like very consistent conditions and the smaller the tank, the harder that is to achieve. I would imagine the Mantis would require similar care.

Mantis aren't a shrimp but a stomatopod. But yes care would be similar except mantis are killing machines!

Ya a 30 would be fine for pretty much any mantis and a 20 would be good for some smaller ones. I'm looking at setting up a peacock tank when I sell off my 30 planted fw setup and was just going to use an ac70 and maybe a korilia 240 if I want a little extra flow. One thing I am definitely doing is gluing an additional piece of acrylic to the bottom. Other than that just the basics but with a DSB

Yeah I only want a peacock. They had a 6 inch one at my LFS a few months back and I fell I love. Do you think they'd need the flow of the 240? I'm doing all my research now before I set anything up as I should. I'm planning on doing a deep sand bed with love rock rubble and a few pieces of love rock. Debating on what color sand. I have black in my one tank and I love it. Kinda thinking of doing black again because of the mantis bright colors. And that video was the best!

I think black sand would look awesome with a peacock! As for the 240 I was gonna add some shrooms and rics to the LR (kinda thinking like a pyramid over the PVC den I'm gonna make with lots of rubble around so it can build) but I don't think it would hurt with just the mantis, can always move it higher or point it up

I'm nervous about adding corals (even low light) because I'm NOT putting my hands in that tank! Lol. Plus he's gonna rearrange the rock anyway.

I would use reef sand, like a medium crushed coral sand. They build pretty big dens and you want a substrate that would hold tunnels and cave open.

Ya they will probably be on the upper half of the pyramid for sure, and the shrooms are living in a fuge at the moment so if they get mangled not really that big of a deal. If the shrooms do ok I can add some rics from my 20l they are throwing off new heads a lot lately

I didn't know the Nuvos were acrylic. Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll look into those. I know I want a 30 gal or close to it. So for substrate, would you recommend crushed coral? Or the normal reef sand just not super fine?

Back
Top Bottom