Possible Problem (Please Help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're a life saver!

I'm looking at these LEDs because of their price, output, and timer. My tank is a 55.

Such a clever advertisement. It mentions all the goodies but does not mention about the specification. You need to know what is the total wattage output and the number of LEDs on it so you know if the standard 3-watt LED is being used that is required for most corals.

Edit: The light fixture you plan to buy will not solve your original problem though.

What made you want to go with those if you don't mind me asking

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Brand name, I got to examine them before purchase, timer and dynamic lighting, mounts on the tank in one complete strip, and can handle almost all stony corals.

Brand name, I got to examine them before purchase, timer and dynamic lighting, mounts on the tank in one complete strip, and can handle almost all stony corals.

No, that light can support softies, and maybe low light lps

I beg to differ, they're used in my LFS for growing coral and all their SPS and LPS are thriving I've got softies, LPS, and SPS in my tank right now and all of them are doing just fine.

I beg to differ, they're used in my LFS for growing coral and all their SPS and LPS are thriving I've got softies, LPS, and SPS in my tank right now and all of them are doing just fine.

How many units are they using over what sized tank?

Are they growing acropora under it? Currents own site states it can't do light demanding sps...
Every forum review I've read has ppl with 2 growing sps on very shallow tanks. I find it hard to believe that one is growing sps on a deep tank with the poor par it puts out. But hey prove me wrong :D

The Orbit LED light is limited to soft corals. Here is the reason why. It never mention the total wattage of the fixture but I can tell it has only 1-watt LEDs. There is no way it can have more than 200 watts total. Since the 48 inch fixture has 192 LEDs anyone can do the math to figure out the wattage of each LED. It has all the extra goodies that you pay for but it is only good for shallow tank.

The Orbit LED light is limited to soft corals. Here is the reason why. It never mention the total wattage of the fixture but I can tell it has only 1-watt LEDs. There is no way it can have more than 200 watts total. Since the 48 inch fixture has 192 LEDs anyone can do the math to figure out the wattage of each LED. It has all the extra goodies that you pay for but it is only good for shallow tank.

With no offense intended, I'm 15 years old and I know that wattage isn't necessarily what to measure here.

Compare a 48 inch T5 fluorescent tube to a 48 inch T12 fluorescent tube... Nearly the same wattage, but the T5 can beat out the T12 by almost 4x.

With this in mind, let's look at wattage again. With LED lighting in an aquarium that is 24" deep or shallower (My 55 falls right into this), only 1 watt per gallon of LED lighting is needed for LPS, most SPS, and softies. The structure I have emits 46 watts. Now look at this review of the product on a 100 gallon tank.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQPU5U7CXPJWO/#RQPU5U7CXPJWO

Even given the fact that he has another lighting system with it, it still seems odd to me that everyone who actually owns this lighting system loves it, and everyone who is reviewing it just rags on it. I can safely say, I'm going to be growing montipora and bubble coral with ease ;)

Par is much more relevant than total wattage. The par values suck lol. Right off currents site. I also can't take a guy whose had a light for a month with another light on the tanks review seriously. If he had growth shots, types of sps, etc. it may be different. I just remember Carey having it and slowly losing a hydno under it on a 40 breeder. It will maybe grow monti caps and digitata. Honestly I'd love to see some proven results with it. If you can help out the community here by testing it that'd be great!

Edit: I feel these lights just really need to be put to the test as there is like no info or pics on sps growth with them. I've been looking lol.

Here is one of the reviews of that LED light

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
Don't buy this.
By MLon June 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
Don't buy this unless you have 12" tall tank. I bought this for my 90 gallon tank (24" tall) and the bottom of the tank is still very dark. Light is weak. I can't return it because I don't have the original box they shipped with.

A simple explanation to this is that if you have two 1-watt LEDs they will cover twice the area but each one will only penetrate the water about half the penetration of a one 2-watt LED. They may look brighter but only for a shorter distance.

A simple explanation to this is that if you have two 1-watt LEDs they will cover twice the area but each one will only penetrate the water about half the penetration of a one 2-watt LED. They may look brighter but only for a shorter distance.

That unit uses 192 LEDs for a total of 46 watts, that means they're running the LEDs at ~.25w each which is terrible. Quality units run the LEDs at 2w apiece, so the lights are actually strong enough to penetrate the water. I'll see if I can find the pur chart I saw on another forum for this light, it's pathetic and makes the par map it puts out look good. Despite what your lfs tells you, this light will not support sps long term.

Edit: I feel these lights just really need to be put to the test as there is like no info or pics on sps growth with them. I've been looking lol.

I think that's probably because they pull the light after a few months once they start seeing a little browning out the corals. Wouldn't you if your ORA beauties started to ;) but hopefully Carey will chime in, and she can give her reason for pulling it.

It really must depend on the aquarium you are putting the lights on then, I've got a 55 that's about 18 inches deep and honestly, the light touches the bottom a little too much IMO lol, the reflection off of the sand is a bit blinding. Plus, not only have all of my zoas and xenia popped, but the green hammer I just bought is looking bigger than when I bought it. Of course that might just be because it was in close proximity to other hammers and random corals before. Either way I think I'll just test these lights out with my LPS and SPS and post some pictures eventually, maybe it will support the positive or negative side of things.

Pur sure is the actual measurement that people should be interested in when it comes to keeping coral. That would be quite interesting to see, as you don't see it very often as the meters are expensive.
Besides that, it will be interesting to see how this unit performs for you. One way or another, it will make your tank look great. LEDs sure make things shimmer and brighten things up. If it keeps coral above softies will be the proof in the pudding and time will tell. Please keep is updated.

Back
Top Bottom