Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Istrom
Possible Problem (Please Help!)

Hey, thanks for reading.

So I am having an issue with red slime algae, so I googled "Marine Algaecide" and API's "AlgaeFix" Marine came up so I clicked on it. At this point I remembered that I have Algaecide for my pond. I went and grabbed it and compared the active ingredients. It was an exact match.

API's product says that it is Coral, Fish, and Invert safe. However, with the algaecide that I used the back said that it was not invertebrate safe.

Unfortunately it is a little late for me to say "better safe than sorry", so do you think that considering they have the exact same active ingredients at the same concentration, will my fish, coral, and inverts be okay?

-Istrom
Istrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well red slime algae is a pain in the butt no doubt. Red slime forms in areas of little to no movement, high waste output, or poor quality water. I'm not saying you have any of those but those are what I have concluded IME, also water going into the tank can be a problem as it may contain high phosphate levels

Putting that in a tank is like covering a wound that need a stitches with a bandaid. I wouldn't have done it honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup. I agree that it is a VERY temporary fix. I'm going to get new lights (which is the main problem) in 10 days and I will also be putting in some powerheads soon. But do you think my tank occupants will live?

-Istrom
Old 08-02-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah they will live! What kind of lights are you going for? And if I were you j would go with the eBay LED lights that run around $90-$100.

What size tank do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You're a life saver!

I'm looking at these LEDs because of their price, output, and timer. My tank is a 55.

-Istrom
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

also keep in mind that it is most likely NOT algae, but bacteria, cyano bacteria to be exact.
SO before you go dumping stuff in your tank, you should read up on cyano bacteria.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istrom View Post
You're a life saver!

I'm looking at these LEDs because of their price, output, and timer. My tank is a 55.

Those lights aren't going to support much, pretty much maxed out at softies.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istrom View Post
Yup. I agree that it is a VERY temporary fix. I'm going to get new lights (which is the main problem) in 10 days and I will also be putting in some powerheads soon. But do you think my tank occupants will live?
There are no powerheads in your setup? So where is the water movement coming from? Without movement in the water, oxygen is used up and CO2 builds up. This is deadly to fish...just as deadly as ammonia or nitrite...
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am planning on just having soft coral actually.

I have a return from my refugium that's powered by a pump, the water it brings back in pushes a fairly large mass of oxygen in bubble form about 8+ inches under the surface of the water constantly.

-Istrom
Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

And what size of tank is this? A return isn't enough under normal circumstances. You also don't want them shooting bubbles through your tank, it creates salt creep and will drop your salinity.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com