Possible Protein Skimmer Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

The one on the left is how it is now, the one on the right is how it used to be. All the little dots are the bubbles.

img_388440_0_f68b2cad578a641d8ac70d9499ef4865.jpg

Before (before the cycle) the bubbles used to go up the middle and then down the outer edge. Then I turned it off during the cycle, and turned it on after it was done (A few days ago) now they just go down partway.

I havent changed anything at all. Why is it doing this?

Also, my airpump I have opened up all the way, when before if I opened up all the way it was too much bubbles, now when it is all the way opened, it is just right level, which I guess is fine, but why is it doing this?

The only thing differat that I see is there is some pink stuff in the tubing (It may be ON the tubing, I am not sure) just before it gets to the airstone.

Anyone can help, TIA

Before was the skimmer outputing air bubbles into the tank? Now is the skimmer outputting air bubbles into the tank?

New skimmers have a 'break in' period where they act funny due to the manufacuring process leaving chemicals on the plastic and such.

I got this used, the person said she used it like a month, and she wanted a differant one (To do a bigger tank).

Before, the skimmer could make the bubbles go into the collection cup the whole time (instead of just to the bottom of the cup like normal, and all the "bad" stuff rises to the top but the main amount of bubbles stays at the bottom)

Now, on full open, the bubbles just go to the bottom of the cup and no higher (Which is fine, but why is the flow of air reduced?)

Zac,

I have a Red SEa Berlin Airlift 60. Same type but a little smaller.
The airstones used in this are limewood. It takes about 3 days for them to soak up the SW very well. When I replace my stone, the air bubbles will go all the way back down(just like pic on R.) I have to adjust my air pump down a notch or 2. But, as the airstone increases it content of SW, you will notice the bubbles NOT going all the way around.

Sounds like you are starting a cycle for a new tank. Correct? This was not mentioned, but sounds like it. Anyway, you won't be getting much skimmate right now, if you are cycling. Most of your skimmate production happens at night.

In your picture, the one on the left is what you want the skimmer to run at. If you go with the right sided one, you will get too much white foam in the collection cup. Also, many bubbles will escape the Berlin and get out into the tank. After you have fish and corals added, you don't want little bubbles floating around. So, adjust your skimmer buubles accordingly.

Once you have the skimmer adjusted correctly, depending on what inverts and verts you have, you will notice a liquid that kinda resembles green tea. It will smell like the lake shore during summertime. If this is what you get, then just clean the collection cup every 3 or 4 days. No need to ever adjust the air pump again. Replace the airstones every 30 days.

HTH

Its done cycling, and I left the skimmer in there during the whole thing, so I guess its not going all the way around because its soaked up?

Back
Top Bottom