Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2004, 03:03 AM   #1
Blubanshee98

Possible Tank Mates?

We are slowly setting up our new tank. We've done lots of research, but can't seem to find any good information on tank mates for a blue dot stingray and a leopard shark. Although they still won't be purchased until a few months into next year, we would like to figure out of options for more fish. I have seen the compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com, but suggestion from experience are always good. Any good species of Eels? Possibly a Puffer or Trigger? Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-12-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
lemmie ask what size tank your planning?

Will it be FO? FOWLR? or a reef tank?

I assume you plan on having HEAVY filtration?

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

better re-read about the sting ray
Old 12-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

First off...WELCOME TO AA!!!
I suppose I must start by saying that rays and sharks do not do well in a home aquarium. These animals are best left to large public aquariums in the wild. Somehow they make thei way into the LFS around the country. Having said that, these animals require very large (500-800 gal) tanks. Circular work best as it allows them plenty of free swimming space. They need a very soft substrate of sand and little LR as they can scratch themselves on it. Both sharks and rays can be difficult to get to eat or accept prepared foods. Because of this many die slowly of starvation. In a home aquarium these animals are not very active. Many just sit on the bottom of the tank in a corner and do not swim much I honestly can not offer any advice on compatability. Good luck with the tank...Lando
Old 12-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Blubanshee98

Hi and thanks for all the advice. Is this a reef only forum? Sounds to me like the criticism we recieved would be from reef owners only. I guess we are gonna have to ditch our 130 gallon and start considering turning our house into a giant aquarium. All we asked for was experience from other people, not ideas because your neighbor or your grandma once had a shark in a tank and it didn't like fish bowls. And we aren't talking about having some huge ray with a 6ft blacktip reef shark that just sit on the bottom. Most sharks we have seen in tanks whether it be in stores or public aquariums the sharks were very active. I don't know if people have some out of body experiences and can speak for a shark or ray. So please if you have any information we can't read in the very helpful shark and ray books that are available to the public please let us know.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

This isnt a reef-only forum. But a ton of people here have a whole lot of experence. Many are pet store owners, some are biologists, and many what I like to call "Professional hobbiests"

We really like to help out everyone as much as possible and give everyone the absolute best advice we can.

So if Lando says that sharks and Rays don't do well in a home aquarium, then its a safe bet that he is right. Remember, these guys were caught just days before swiming around in the ocean. (The worlds largest aquarium). Many fish do fine in a home aquarium, and many fish do not do well at all.

Good news! a 130 gallon system is perfectly fine for many puffers, triggers, and some eels! do alot of research to find out what would work best with your system.

I recommend picking up Robert M. Finner's book: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. He is one of the most famous and trusted people in this hobby.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 12-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are the second person in as many days to not be overly-joyed with the advice you get from me. The bottom line...It is your tank and you can do what you want. I am only offering my opinion based on research, personal experience and the experience of others. Do you think I am the only one who says that a 130 gal. tank is too small for a shark or ray? I encourage you to ask anyone else (expect the LFS, they just want your $$$) and see what response you get. Honestly, you have a 130 gal tank, which can make a great home for a ton of various species. Tangs are great, angels are beautiful, the clown trigger is one of the most impressive fish available. All are great choices for your tank. These types of fish are going to add wonderful color to your tank and they actually swim around and give you great movement. Trust me, the replies you get here are not personal opinion, they are based on a collective idea of what is best. Please take the info provided on this site to heart, or stop asking questions you do not like the answers to...Lando
Old 12-13-2004, 01:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Do you think I am the only one who says that a 130 gal. tank is too small for a shark or ray?"

I agree as well Lando. I wish there were a species of a shark or ray that would be suitable in the home aquarium. We are all here to get or answer the questions we would like to know. After all, this is aquariumadvice.com.
As Rocketseason pointed out, 130G is a nice size for many species but not nearly enough for a shark or ray. Even if it were a 1000G tank, they are very difficult to maintain, and even the best aquarist will tell you that. Good luck to you.

Mike
Old 12-14-2004, 01:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Spiderman
yep, definitely too small for a shark and/or ray. you are free to do what you want, but you run a BIG RISK going down this path. if you have tons of money and a tank at least 10x the size of what you are planning, then you have a shot....
2 clowns, a royal gramma, a clown goby, and a banggai cardinal
1 cleaner shrimp
blue, red, green crabs
nassarius, astrea, black turbo, margarita snails
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think he is here anymore.... :|

Closed Thread

Tags
tan, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com