Possible Tank Mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blubanshee98

We are slowly setting up our new tank. We've done lots of research, but can't seem to find any good information on tank mates for a blue dot stingray and a leopard shark. Although they still won't be purchased until a few months into next year, we would like to figure out of options for more fish. I have seen the compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com, but suggestion from experience are always good. Any good species of Eels? Possibly a Puffer or Trigger? Any info will be greatly appreciated! :D

lemmie ask what size tank your planning?

Will it be FO? FOWLR? or a reef tank?

I assume you plan on having HEAVY filtration?

First off...WELCOME TO AA!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I suppose I must start by saying that rays and sharks do not do well in a home aquarium. These animals are best left to large public aquariums in the wild. Somehow they make thei way into the LFS around the country. Having said that, these animals require very large (500-800 gal) tanks. Circular work best as it allows them plenty of free swimming space. They need a very soft substrate of sand and little LR as they can scratch themselves on it. Both sharks and rays can be difficult to get to eat or accept prepared foods. Because of this many die slowly of starvation. In a home aquarium these animals are not very active. Many just sit on the bottom of the tank in a corner and do not swim much I honestly can not offer any advice on compatability. Good luck with the tank...Lando

Hi and thanks for all the advice. Is this a reef only forum? Sounds to me like the criticism we recieved would be from reef owners only. I guess we are gonna have to ditch our 130 gallon and start considering turning our house into a giant aquarium. All we asked for was experience from other people, not ideas because your neighbor or your grandma once had a shark in a tank and it didn't like fish bowls. And we aren't talking about having some huge ray with a 6ft blacktip reef shark that just sit on the bottom. Most sharks we have seen in tanks whether it be in stores or public aquariums the sharks were very active. I don't know if people have some out of body experiences and can speak for a shark or ray. So please if you have any information we can't read in the very helpful shark and ray books that are available to the public please let us know.

This isnt a reef-only forum. But a ton of people here have a whole lot of experence. Many are pet store owners, some are biologists, and many what I like to call "Professional hobbiests"

We really like to help out everyone as much as possible and give everyone the absolute best advice we can.

So if Lando says that sharks and Rays don't do well in a home aquarium, then its a safe bet that he is right. Remember, these guys were caught just days before swiming around in the ocean. (The worlds largest aquarium). Many fish do fine in a home aquarium, and many fish do not do well at all.

Good news! a 130 gallon system is perfectly fine for many puffers, triggers, and some eels! do alot of research to find out what would work best with your system.

I recommend picking up Robert M. Finner's book: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. He is one of the most famous and trusted people in this hobby.

You are the second person in as many days to not be overly-joyed with the advice you get from me. The bottom line...It is your tank and you can do what you want. I am only offering my opinion based on research, personal experience and the experience of others. Do you think I am the only one who says that a 130 gal. tank is too small for a shark or ray? I encourage you to ask anyone else (expect the LFS, they just want your $$$) and see what response you get. Honestly, you have a 130 gal tank, which can make a great home for a ton of various species. Tangs are great, angels are beautiful, the clown trigger is one of the most impressive fish available. All are great choices for your tank. These types of fish are going to add wonderful color to your tank and they actually swim around and give you great movement. Trust me, the replies you get here are not personal opinion, they are based on a collective idea of what is best. Please take the info provided on this site to heart, or stop asking questions you do not like the answers to...Lando

"Do you think I am the only one who says that a 130 gal. tank is too small for a shark or ray?"

I agree as well Lando. I wish there were a species of a shark or ray that would be suitable in the home aquarium. We are all here to get or answer the questions we would like to know. After all, this is aquariumadvice.com.
As Rocketseason pointed out, 130G is a nice size for many species but not nearly enough for a shark or ray. Even if it were a 1000G tank, they are very difficult to maintain, and even the best aquarist will tell you that. Good luck to you.

Mike

yep, definitely too small for a shark and/or ray. you are free to do what you want, but you run a BIG RISK going down this path. if you have tons of money and a tank at least 10x the size of what you are planning, then you have a shot....

about the sharks

I have also considered getting a shark. The local pet store always has little banded sharks available.
My questions would be...
heavy filtration....what would be recommended?
other species of fish... can a banded shark do ok in a community tank?
Size...I know they are a smaller species of shark so would there be a tank available in a regular petshop that would work for one?
I understand what you are saying about sharks not being a good choice for a private tank but the way I see it is someone is going to take these little guys home. Most likely they will be totally clueless on how to care for a shark. I am pretty much clueless at this point but want to know what I can do to provide one with as much comfort as possible that is realistic in a persons home?? So any and all advice would be greatly appreciated
I honestly had set out to have a beautiful reef tank. I would still love one but I know that would only take away from a sharks space. Please any and all advice would be great! I have already read the reasons not to have one and I agree with you totally but someone is going to buy these babies and I would prefer to be that person and know they will have the best that can be offered to them at that point
Thanks

I am not disagreeing with any prior posts on whether to keep a shark or a ray or both in a home tank. I have a 6 mos. old bamboo shark which is around 14". Sharks are messy therefore I have 2 overflows which run around 270 gph each (I think it's each). I have a powerhead in tank and a mag 18 for my return which keeps everything moving. I placed two outlets on the return...one mid tank level pointing in one direction and one at the bottom pointing in another direction. When considering a shark....full grown size is key. They can live for a very long time.....and one way to keep their size down is to moderate how much/often you feed them. I am not saying starve them...most sharks when well adapted will eat until they are full. These sharks (as most are) are not reef safe for 2 major reasons....they will nip at your corals and the like, and they need a lot of swimming room especially when they get bigger. The key to purchasing one is to have your LFS get one for you (without paying)...put it on hold first. The next step is to let them keep it for a month. Check on it every couple of days (if possible) and ask them to feed it while you are there if they haven't. This way you can tell whether it's a hardy shark who will adapt well or one who may not. I cannot suggest smaller than a 180gal tank for any home shark. In fact the bamboo is probably one of the one home sharks you can keep....possibly and epaulette but I wouldn't push it.

As far as rays go....you need at least a 240 gal tank that is deep since rays are very wide....they are also not reef safe and may not do well with a shark. Most home sharks hang out on the bottom of the tank...so do the rays....which will cover themselves in the sand. You don't want the shark skmming the bottom for food only to have it hit the ray and start something you can't stop.

I am fortunate in that my shark has always eaten well (I did the steps above of watching him) and mine doesn't lay on the bottom all day. He is freqeuntly found swimming around the nooks and crannies of my artificial reef.

Compatability (sp?) for them is tough. See below for my stock...minus my trigger. Other than my koran angel which won't be added for years I don't have any other plans for more stock other than maybe a tang down the road.

The one positive that I have found with my shark is his hardiness.....which is why I would tell the original poster to not get the blue dot ray....they are VERY hard to keep out of their natural environment. My shark was introduced after I thought my cycle was complete.....it wasn't and he has survived as if nothing was wrong at all through the last couple of weeks....I obviously suggest you wait until you know your cycle is complete before acclimating anything.

HTH and this is a forum so all opinions and thoughts are welcome...that's why we are here

I would like to find a local person to help me purchase and set up everything needed for my tank...regardless of whether I decide to get the shark I would like or if I stick with a well populated reef I want to know it is being done right... Does anyone know or recommend a person in the Peoria Illinois area?

Hi...Welcome to AquariumAdvice!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
By banded shark I am assumming you are refering to the brownbanded bamboo shrark (Chiloscyllium punctatum). Keep in mind that this shark can easily grow over a foot in the first year alone and has a maxium leght of just under 4 ft. You stated you were aware of the reasons not to get a shark so I will not touch on those. Keep in mind that most species of sharks available in the aquarium industry are mainly bottom dwellers. This particular species likes to dig in sand. Most are inactive and do nothing but sit on the bottom of the tank. Honestly, not exactly Discover Channel material. I think people would be far more impressed with a nice living reef tank then looking at an empty tank with a shark burried in the sand. Just my .02...Lando

I agree 100% that a beautiful reef is far more impressive... I guess my save the world attitude jumps in on that one.. If I do not get him the person that does might not do what is best for him... UGH!!! either way I am in no way ready to purchase anything major eyt. I still need someone to help me set up and establish a tank. some how taking the advice of the 17 yr olds at the local pet shop does not seem like enough.. I really need a person to walk me through getting a tank in order regardless of what I decide to put in it... I do not want to lose a bunch of animals due to my ignorance... I know go buy a betta bowl but I want something gorgeous and exotic

First, I would recommend getting a good book. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. You can also check out the "articles" section at the top of the page for good info on cycling and getting started. Most importanly...keep asking questions...Lando

thanks so much I will look this book up... it is a huge investment and I just want it to be right and beautiful!! I'm just curious... how long before I can actually add animals?

That really depends on how you cycle the tank. It does take a while for a tank to properly cycle. 4-6 weeks is a good estimate. The bigest mistake new comers make is adding fish too soon or adding too many fish at once.

I believe he left.

If some one would like to keep a shark or ray in an home aquarium. I found this formula.

The only way that you can keep even one shark of 3' or smaller is this formula. There is formula on how to determine the tank size. I believe it is 3 times the length of the shark full grown and 2 times the length for the width of the tank. As for the height it is something like 36" and up.

With this formula that I found, this is what you get for ONE shark.

36" tall
108" long
72" wide
Gives you a grand Total= 1,211 Gallons

This is the SMALLEST tank any one should keep a shark in.
You will also want to Provide caves and ledges as hiding areas is part of the tank.

This is what I know, Hope it helped
Epaulette Shark

once again, a very old thread. It is being locked. Please start a new one if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom