Potential problem down the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertDweller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my issue. I just picked up a 75 gallon tank and stand. Im going to put a 20 long underneath for the sump/refugium. Now the only way to get the sump tank in and out is to put it in from the top of the stand. it simply wont slide in from the front or rear.

Now if everything is working the way it's supposed to I wont have any issues, but if something where to go bad with the sump I'd have to drain the tank to get the sump back out.

Should I come up with a better idea or just drive on with my current plan and hope for the best?

I'm not a big fan of the "hope for the best" method. I mean, I've had my tank running for 4+ years and never had to remove the sump, but heaven forbid you spring a leak or something, you'd be pretty screwed....

I guess you can lump me in with the "hoping nothing bad happens" crowd. I can't get my sump for my 75 in and out without either removing the tank and stand top or taking out the center support (which I'm pretty sure if I had a full tank above it would result in an even bigger problem). Of course, if my tank does or sump actually does spring a leak, my wife will be sure to kill me before I can solve the problem.

if my tank does or sump actually does spring a leak, my wife will be sure to kill me before I can solve the problem.

Excellent point - I fit in that category as well. Fixable or not, one more thing goes bad with this tank and I'm fairly certain she's going to fix it with a mixture of calcium supplement, frozen brine, and my blood.

Ok so I'm not the only one. I do understand the not liking the hope for the best part, but unless I want to re work the cabinet there's not much else I can do.
Does homeowners cover flooding from tanks? Ha.......knock on wood

Excellent question, and one I should probably ask my insurance guy ;)

I hear ya about not wanting to rework things, totally! I'm just a paranoid type, is all...I have leak detectors all over the tank. Periodically they'll go off in the middle of the night when there's a slight splish of water that dings off the top of my skimmer. It's a royal pain in the ***, and it makes my wife want to strangle me. I almost hope that just once I hav ea small flood so I can justify the paranoia to her ;)

Insurance covering tanks leaking

Ok so I'm not the only one. I do understand the not liking the hope for the best part, but unless I want to re work the cabinet there's not much else I can do.
Does homeowners cover flooding from tanks? Ha.......knock on wood

Homeowners covers tanks leaking if you let your insurance person know that you have one. It is like reporting high priced jewelry. You have to let them know and it has to be on your policy. It doesnt change your rates, but they need to know.

DesertDweller said:
Here is my issue. I just picked up a 75 gallon tank and stand. Im going to put a 20 long underneath for the sump/refugium. Now the only way to get the sump tank in and out is to put it in from the top of the stand. it simply wont slide in from the front or rear.

Now if everything is working the way it's supposed to I wont have any issues, but if something where to go bad with the sump I'd have to drain the tank to get the sump back out.

Should I come up with a better idea or just drive on with my current plan and hope for the best?

Man you sound just like me,always think of the worst that can happen.LOL
Now I will have trouble sleeping after reading this thread.
I have a 75 gallon with a 20 long as sump to.Worst case,if your sump starting leaking,you could drain and reseal it without affecting your DT.If a glass side or end cracked you could put in a plexiglas insert and seal it to that piece.
Anyway,just don't get clumsy when messing with your sump and it will be fine.

I'm in the hope for the best group, and I have one advantage than ya'll.....I don't have a wife that would kill be or mix my blood with other supplements. hehehehe

Back
Top Bottom