Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Potters Angel behavior

My potters angel is the shyest fish I have ever seen. I have owned royal grammas in fully stocked tanks that were less timid then this guy. The thing I dont get is he is full grown so he is like 5 inches long and the biggest fish in the tank. What is he afraid of. Sometimes he comes out and doesnt look scared. I just think he likes the back of my tank. Plus I have had him like 2 or 3 weeks and I have never seen as much as peck on a rock or eat a single piece of brine. However he is fat and healthy. Is there anything at all I can do to get this fish to swim in the front more?

Old 05-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Plus I have had him like 2 or 3 weeks and I have never seen as much as peck on a rock or eat a single piece of brine. However he is fat and healthy. Is there anything at all I can do to get this fish to swim in the front more?
Give it more time, it can take angels quite a bit of time to overcome their natural wariness of being in your tank as opposed to the ocean. Without coming down on you (I blame the collectors) I have a problem with Adult breeding stock being removed from the ocean. This is one less fish in the ocean to make little potters angels and Adult fish have a pretty high mortality rate (compared to juveniles and adolescents) IME. They just have a more difficult time acclimating to captivity. If it doesn't start visibly eating, you may be in trouble, it is probably living off of hitchiker sponges and algae on the rock, this will run out eventually. I wish you the best of luck, mine has always been miserable with Potters angels. IME, they are a very high maintenance and high anxiety fish.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Mine always seems so calm and he looks very healthy. He was eating great at the lfs. When I put my frozen food in the tank it goes everywhere because I put it in, in front of a powerhead. It goes everywhere, so he could be eating and I wouldnt see it because he is always in the back of the tank.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:58 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Fish still acting the same, still looks healthy. Hmm

Tags
angel, behavior

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com