Powder Blue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about getting a powder blue tang. I bought one about three years ago and it only lived little more than a week. I figured I would try from a different distributor, such as liveaquaria. They have had the same fish for a couple of weeks now. My buddy says it has a lot to do with how they catch them. Just got a red firefish today, already eating. My tank crashed twice this summer, once due to the temp. going up above 90. My spotted mandarin and black ocellaris survived along with some corals, but it wiped a lot out. The the terrible storms knocked out my power for two days. When the power finally came back on as I was setting up a generator, one of the ballasts went some time after. I fixed the ballast then the other went a couple of months later. I almost gave up but I am know making a slow comeback. The only thing is the annoying hair algae, just some thoughts! I was wondering if anyone has had any success with Powder Blues?

I was told that only 1 out of 10 powder blue will survive in captivity. Not to sound discouraging but that's true. And even you get it to survive in the tank they are very prone to sickness. That's what I have heard from the experienced guys but not sure if they are true.

Is this for your 55 gal tank? If so that's not large enough for a PBT which needs a lot of swimming room and a 100 gal tank.

I agree that your tank will be too small. 100-125 are needed to house one. Also they are ick magnets and hard to keep alive. It seems like you`ve already suffered enough.

Back
Top Bottom