Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

powder blue & achilles tangs?

has anyone ever had any luck on keeping them in the same tank?

Old 12-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I heard no luck...
I'd love to try though...
maybe if the tank is big enough?

Old 12-17-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive gotten a powder blue,a naso and a hippo to get along in my tank, but it got overcrowded real quick so I returned naso and hippo to LFS..when I was there.. I saw a juvenile achilles..have always wanted one but my LFS's doesnt usually have them so here I am researching...my pbt is "very agressive" Im 60% sure of getting the achilles..if I do Ill let you know..
Old 12-17-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

done some research on achilles..and have a theory...please reply good or bad

Ive always wondered why it was rare to see an achilles at my LFS..today was the first time Ive seem one at 4 LFS in my area in 8 months. then I look online for them and none of online fish stores guaranteed that is would "arrive alive and in good condition" ! So if an LFS has one in there display, chances are that particular achilles is a hardy one ( 2 juveniles at the LFS) & theyve been there for about two weeks in a 10 gal display tank! Surely if they can stay alive from the time someone pick them out of the ocean to where they are now, that it can survive my powder blue. tomorrow Ill ask if they can feed it and if it eats like a pig...an hour later it will be in my tank.
So what do you guys think, A good sound theory or am I just trying to covince myself to get one
Old 12-18-2004, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Lou, no offence, but with all these tangs, are you planning on a bigger tank someday? A 50 is pretty small for even 1 adult size tank. These guys get pretty big as adults.
Just wondering.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

QS, just one tang now....
Quote:
I returned naso and hippo to LFS.
in better condition and well fed than when I first got them
when I was there today I saw an achilles,as far as a bigger tank, for sure! I have the same concerns as everyone here for the well being of these animals... right now still shopping around for tank between 90 to 150 gal tank and it has to be an acrylic tank being I live on a second floor apt which is big issue..right now I can go out buy a bigger tank just matter of how big And if I do get this achilles (which looks like bones with fins) before I get my bigger tank he too will go back in better condition and well fed.................hope not I only get about 50% of the original purchase price.

BTW does the week 7 end on sat or sun..gotta catchup
Old 12-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I wasn't trying to dis you, I know you know what you are doing. As Big as my Angel is getting, I'm worried that I may not have enough room for her eventually. Good luck, thats a great looking tang.
I think it ends on Sunday, you have time
Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I wasn't trying to dis you
sorry if it read that way..not my intention..its just I have gotten stuff from several people about it and everytime I write the word "tang" no one looks at the question and automatically ask what size is your tank? to tell you the truth Im try get get my hands on several types of tangs not all at one time of course, but to get experience on the care levels of each specific tang and use that experience here on AA. call me LouTang
Old 12-19-2004, 11:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

FWIW, I have a sailfin, regal, naso, p. brown, p. blue, and an achilles tang, all in separate tanks. The achilles has been the most difficult of the bunch. He is the fastest, most tempermental fish I have, and, is the biggest ich magnet I've ever seen.
Successive hypo treatments at 1.0075 for six and seven weeks at a time, (the complete fish only tank, including it's tankmates of course) still didn't cure him of it. I finally had to copper the inhabitants in a hospital tank and leave the tank fishless for two months to beat the problem.
Probably the only thing he comes in second with respect to my other tangs is aggressiveness, where the p. blue tops the list hands down.
I'm not going to tell you not to put more than one tang together, as that's your decision, but I will say that I wouldn't do it even in a 90g tank.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

PiscesLou - The only thing I have seen on the Achilles Tang is through Fenner's book. He mentioned this particular one has a poor survival rate regardless of experience. It's always worth a shot though. Sometimes we get lucky with a good specimen.

Mike

Tags
chi, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com