Powder blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigbrother

Aquarium Advice Activist
Picked up a nice fat powder blue yesterday my tank has been empty for 2 months do to ick out brake that killed my fish ick was cause do to high nitrates but now everything is stable the PB looks calm his dorsil fin is down looks calm doesnt look stressed but has not ate yet but does graze the rocks any tips on getting him eating??

What do you feed him cuz if you are trying to feed him frozen it is not going to work most likely if you want to see him eat you should give him some real shrimp you know like the shrimp you would by at a bait store and cut them up in to small pieces and drop it in there.that usually works for me and later on try to cross over like try to mix in some with the shrimp and see if he goes for it and give him more frozen in with the shrimp until he is eating just frozen but if he purposely avoids it I gess try to get him hungry enough to eat it. This way of doing it has worked so well for me that I have got my sohal tang to eat meaty frozen food and he is a herbivore but that is no good for him so I don't do it. Good luck

Get a clip in the tank and put some nori seaweed on it. Mine loves the stuff

I got nori seaweed rubber band to a rock for him to graze as far as feeding him shrimp I tried masis. Shrimp will ghost shrimp work live??

Live shrimp will probably work for food, but one of the down-sides to live food, is that they aresuspected to bring with them

Parasitic diseases, which thorough rinsing will not remove. This is one case where frozen or dry is definitely better.
Sorry for the 2 half posts. :)

Ok so no to live shrimp ima keep traying to feed this guy the only upside is tht he does graze at the rocks but doesn't seem to touch the nori algae sheet I guess he still getting use to his new home u think ??

Give him a chance to settle in. he's only in there for a day. Sometimes it take a few days for them to get going. I'm curious did you say that your high nitrates caused ich in your tank.

Yea I had a couple of fish on there an i had done a nitrate test before but I gues the strips that I used weren't very good so took a water sample to my local Petstore an my nitrates were thru the roof all my fish kept daying before that an all of them had ich I didn't understand why that why I took the water sample now my tank has been empty for 2 months in that period intalled a refugium an had Been doin lots of water changes to take them out but o an also added a phosphate reactor for my corals lost a couple corals aswell do to the nitrates but all under control now

Flreefer said:
Parasitic diseases, which thorough rinsing will not remove. This is one case where frozen or dry is definitely better.
Sorry for the 2 half posts. :)

Personally I would just feed him the live shrimp and not worry about any parasitic diseases. I have feed live once for about a month and had no problems.

I got him eating now went an bought some kent garlic extract an he's goin crazy for the masis shrim its great the lady at the Petstore said it great for fish to keep them healthy ammiune system an can prevent an even cure ick

Reefer 22 said:
Personally I would just feed him the live shrimp and not worry about any parasitic diseases. I have feed live once for about a month and had no problems.

Yes it will stimulate them to feed, but over the long haul it's not a good idea, it can cause catastrophic results.
Garlic is an immune system booster, for humans and fish alike.
Glad you got him to eat!!
Best of luck in the future! :)

Thanx I think I'm only goin to continue the garli for atleast 1 month just to make sure he doesn't get ick I have had 2 pBlues died on me I'm really hopeing this one makes it

So the PB came down with ick sucks but it happend but eats like a pig I will continue to feed the garlic extract along with selcon hope he beats it

I had a thread going a few days ago about my new powder also having ich. I'm treating the tank with Stop Parasite and the spots went away but came back today. I'm going to continue treatment and probably do a second run of it and hope for the best for him and the other inhabitants in the tank

Guess we should send prayers to the fish gods for both of us.

That's sucks man sorry to hear yea I hope mines bets it I'm just treating with garlic an selcon in the food I hear as long as u keep them eating they will beat it

I'm goin to Feed alil more often with the medication but will not over feed

Update on my ick problem my PB still has it but still eats very well I guess he will beat it just a matter of time he looks very strong an healthy hasn't lost appetite just a matter of time before he kicks it

Back
Top Bottom