Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Powder blue tang

Picked up a nice fat powder blue yesterday my tank has been empty for 2 months do to ick out brake that killed my fish ick was cause do to high nitrates but now everything is stable the PB looks calm his dorsil fin is down looks calm doesnt look stressed but has not ate yet but does graze the rocks any tips on getting him eating??

Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do you feed him cuz if you are trying to feed him frozen it is not going to work most likely if you want to see him eat you should give him some real shrimp you know like the shrimp you would by at a bait store and cut them up in to small pieces and drop it in there.that usually works for me and later on try to cross over like try to mix in some with the shrimp and see if he goes for it and give him more frozen in with the shrimp until he is eating just frozen but if he purposely avoids it I gess try to get him hungry enough to eat it. This way of doing it has worked so well for me that I have got my sohal tang to eat meaty frozen food and he is a herbivore but that is no good for him so I don't do it. Good luck

Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Get a clip in the tank and put some nori seaweed on it. Mine loves the stuff
Old 06-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got nori seaweed rubber band to a rock for him to graze as far as feeding him shrimp I tried masis. Shrimp will ghost shrimp work live??
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live shrimp will probably work for food, but one of the down-sides to live food, is that they aresuspected to bring with them
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Parasitic diseases, which thorough rinsing will not remove. This is one case where frozen or dry is definitely better.
Sorry for the 2 half posts.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok so no to live shrimp ima keep traying to feed this guy the only upside is tht he does graze at the rocks but doesn't seem to touch the nori algae sheet I guess he still getting use to his new home u think ??
Old 06-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give him a chance to settle in. he's only in there for a day. Sometimes it take a few days for them to get going. I'm curious did you say that your high nitrates caused ich in your tank.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea I had a couple of fish on there an i had done a nitrate test before but I gues the strips that I used weren't very good so took a water sample to my local Petstore an my nitrates were thru the roof all my fish kept daying before that an all of them had ich I didn't understand why that why I took the water sample now my tank has been empty for 2 months in that period intalled a refugium an had Been doin lots of water changes to take them out but o an also added a phosphate reactor for my corals lost a couple corals aswell do to the nitrates but all under control now
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Parasitic diseases, which thorough rinsing will not remove. This is one case where frozen or dry is definitely better.
Sorry for the 2 half posts.
Personally I would just feed him the live shrimp and not worry about any parasitic diseases. I have feed live once for about a month and had no problems.

Tags
blue tang, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com