Powder blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtisle506

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a nice sized powder blue a week ago(2-3") and hes eating sprulina brine and mysis. My problem is he wont eat any nori or veggie tupe foods. I have tried emerald entree, omega one brown, red, and green nori. It also doesn't help that my hippo(2") wont eat any greens either. Can tou guys help me and direct some way some how to how and get my tangs to eat veggies. Mabye a different brand or what your tang eats. Thanks

One of the members on here were kind enough to give me a veggie clip. I tear a 3x3 peice of green nori (from petco for now) and attach it to the clip and suction it to the glass. About 2-3 minutes after the greens get soft my yellow tang and 1 of my oc. clowns love it. I heard about soaking fish food in garlic I'm not sure if the same can go for this but I would give it a try.

Yeah i tried a clip and even rubberband onto a rock for more of a real feel, but they still dont go for it

Spirulina is quite nutritious, as is mysis. I wouldn't worry. You don't NEED it to pick at nori. I would be more worried about it's aggression issues.

As soon as i posted this my hippo started taking bites of the green seaweed i put in, only a little as he took a few bites, my powder blue still hasent taken it, ill try more red tomorrow

As for the aggression issues, i thought i might have a little here and there, but surprisingly the powder blue hasnt even picked on the hippo, and the only aggression between the two is the hippo likes to turn his body sideways and force the powder blue back to the end of the tank. That was only the first two days and latly they have been swimming around the tank with one another. They almost are best buds

One thing you can try with the nori is to cut it into strips like a comb. It gives the fish a smaller place to bite, and might make it look more like seaweed to them.

I had a similar issue with my new Kole. I squirted Garlic Extreme in the tank as well as on the Nori. Thus made him eat it initially. Now he grazes on it without the Garlic.

Back
Top Bottom