Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm getting rid of 3 of the tangs and i will only be keeping a Regal Tang and a Yellow Tang. I've found homes for 2 of them just need to find a home for the larger one i have.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
In my experience, powder blues are very territorial and more times than not, quite nasty in closed systems. I take care of a customers 150 gallon tank which has a powder blue, a foxface, and a sailfin tang in it, and the powder blue really makes life hard for the others.
I wouldn't put one in my 300.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wanna see a nasty tang, take a good look at a Sohal. Holy Smokes, talk about nasty. Powder Blues can be down right viscious too. I had one for 2 years in a 220 and he became meaner and meaner over time, eventually killing a Hippo Tang.

If it were my tank, I would keep the Chevron and the Yellow. I'd rehome the Hippo and the Sailfin. You can try a PBT, but they are hard on other fish as previously mentioned. Tomini's and Kole tangs are cool. The bristle tooth tangs are a good group for smaller tanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Powder Blue in my 180g FO tank. Great fish, but he terrorized every fish that went in after him (except my Green Bird Wrasse). They are definitely territorial, and are in constant motion. Even my lfs owner said "you can be an a'hole when you are that beautiful". Needless to say, my 180g is as stocked as its going to be as long as he PBT is in there.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's very tempting and I've wanted one of them for a whole now. In a couple of years I plan on doing a custom build on a tank twice the size of mine now so he could go in there when he's bigger.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginersluck View Post
It's very tempting and I've wanted one of them for a whole now. In a couple of years I plan on doing a custom build on a tank twice the size of mine now so he could go in there when he's bigger.
I tend to buy livestock for what I have now. Just in case the bigger tank doesn't come according to plan.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never personally owned one, but had an ex many years ago with a 300g tank. She had a purple tang, a couple of wrasses, an Emperor Angel, Flame angel, Flame Hawk a couple other smaller fish (can't recall what). We added a PBT as the last fish and it terrorized whatever was closest to it. Basically spent 90% of its time chasing the other fish. We kept it for just under two weeks and took it back. Got a small Black Tang and it did fine, even with the Purple.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's such a shame. It is a quintescential fish of color from the ocean. I love PBT's. If I ever tried another, it would be small, and I mean small, and added last to a large tank with an understanding that it might need to be removed if tendancies arose. Achilles are right there with it, but a little kinder to others.......but not by much and a challenge healthwise.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
It's such a shame. It is a quintescential fish of color from the ocean. I love PBT's. If I ever tried another, it would be small, and I mean small, and added last to a large tank with an understanding that it might need to be removed if tendancies arose. Achilles are right there with it, but a little kinder to others.......but not by much and a challenge healthwise.
I should clarify that mine was about 1.5 to 2 inches when I first got it.

Tags
blue tang, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com