Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Powder blue tang eating polyps?

I've got a 100 gallon tank right now with a tomato clown and a powder blue tang. My corals have been doing great until about three weeks ago. First my two star polyps were not opening fulling and finally closed. (Another set of star polyps that aren't all that accessible are doing fine.) Now, my yellow polyps are disappearing. I haven't caught either fish in the act yet, but the powder blue tang is looking really, really fat. In the hopes of stopping this behavior, I've been feeding the fish twice a day and there is ample vegetable matter (which gets quickly devoured). Any other suggestions (besides removing the tang and sending him back to the pet store)?

Old 10-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What inverts do you have? I would not think is was either of the two fish you have. Hmm....

Old 10-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't presume anything until you actually see it.. it's far more likely to be a hitchhiker or other small pest.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No inverts of note

Forgot to mention -- I caught him nipping at a flowerpot when he was first introduced. (Yeah, I forgot that they were on the verboten list and won't make that mistake again.) Come to think of it, the other corals started going downhill when the flowerpot died.

The only inverts I put in were snails. I've noticed some bristleworms. I removed a small crab a few months ago. The damage is not limited to one part of the tank (as would occur, I assume, with a hitchhiker type pest). Also, whatever it is finds star polyps particularly tasty. The only star polyps unaffected are in a little crevice that is just too small for a big powder blue tang (or clown) to get into.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have added tangs to my tank, and I currently have one, most have nipped at polyps and corals when they were first introduced. I guess they were taste testing. Anyway, I guess it is possible that is eating it, but usually tangs dont mind eating in front of you. I would think you would be able to watch and see it if it were eating them.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I removed my yellow tang because I actually witnessed him eating my yellow polyps and ALL of my zoo's (I have since replaced them. However I didn't take him out until i knew it was him and that the polyps were heathly (they were). I had to take out my other tang cuz the clown was beating him up pretty good. I was told that it was really rare, but it does happen. I'd say just watch him for awhile and see if he's the culprit.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also as Atari and Revhtree said, it could be something else, better to watch him first.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 10-04-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

OK, it's definitely him.

OK, it's definitely him. He's starting on my leathers now. One of them wasn't opening. I definitely saw him take a bite. Now how do I get him out?

Sam
Old 10-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what I did was use a small cheap plastic tank for a betta and attached a strip of seaweed inside, when he got in there and was busy eating, I scooped it up and put him in my other tank.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great Idea Clowninround! Maybe you could sell that idea on ebay for .99cents and then charge $10 shipping. (joke from another thread)

Tags
blue tang, eat, eating, polyp, polyps, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com