Powder Blue Tang feeding habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, as some of you know last wed I got a powder blue tang from ffexpress. Ever since I got this fish I have seen it picking at the substrate in the q-tank (a combo of CC and argonite pebbles) and also picking at glass.

There is a significant amount of algae growth on the back glass as well as one some of the PH's thanks to a lack of maintance on those areas.

I have also been feeding some red algae sheets via a lettice clip.

I have seen the tang take in flake food as well as some floating red algae bits and it just seems to spit them right back out. The fish was rather skin and bones when I got it so I want to plump him up real good before his q-tank session is over.

I just purchased some Brown Algae Seaweed Select and Selcon Vitamin Supplement online.

I know tangs are more pickers and grazers.

U think this feeding habbit is normal?

So far it looks desease free and the color has come back very nicly.

See if you can find some dried Nori, unseasoned & raw. Add that to the lettuce clip with the red algae.

Blend up some scallops and feed a small amount twice a day. Just blnd for a few seconds with some tank water. If it looks like custard you blended too much. The more you feed the better but make sure none gets wasted or it will pollute the tank.

It should be fat in no time :)

Well i think i know why its spitting out some of the food.

It seems to spit out the larger bits and does not spit out the smaller bits. I suppose the mouth is smaller than other fish's for its size so it spits out bits that are to large.

It looks like the fish is "ganing weight" as behind both side fins the area is starting to "plump" up.

I plan on keeping an eye on this "plump" zone to see if its growing. The back section of the fish is still very skinny. In some light you can acutally see the bones.

Feeding Powder Blue Tang

Hi. As you have seen I also have a Powder Blue Tang, Which by the way appears to be recovering from Ich. He picks all over the tank and substrate but really devours the Green seaweed in the clip unless I put Vita-Chem, Garlic or anything else on it and then he avoids it for a day and then eats it. Had the same thing with a Kole Tang in my wifes old tank.
Hope he makes it mine sure makes my tank look great.
EMS503

Thanks EMS503 for promting me to give a status update. I should have done this earlier but quite frankly I forgot about this thread.

My PBT is doing well. Its still a bit to skinny for my tastes as I can see the bone structure of the spine and ribs but I am working on fattening him up.

I feed about a 2" square of seaweed sheet daily soaked in selcon. The tang attacks the seaweed within minutes of me putting it in the tank. I have an excess of other algae in the tank due to the lack of snails and the PBT seems to pick at that thru out the day.

Here is a recent photo. You can see its still a bit thin but getting some body mass behind the fins.

powder_blue_tang3.jpg

Poder Blue Tang

I purchased my Tang from FF express also. I have been dealing with them for
about 2 years. I have not had a bad experience with them at all. Of course
some things do come in DOA or soon to be but they always issue me a credit
without question. I will have to try the Selcon, I use Vita-Chem straight
into the water because they will not eat it on anything. Good luck with your
Tang.
EMS503

Back
Top Bottom