Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Powder Blue Tang-Moment of weakness

Ok, before anyone blasts me I know I broke/am breaking the the rules, but admittedly I am weak. I do plan to make changes in the coming weeks/months.

I recently stopped by my local Petco just to see what they had while out and about and could not believe my eyes when I saw what they had for stock and on sale. I had to do a double take when I saw a very nice looking Powder Blue Tang(4-5") and then saw it was marked down from $82.99 down to $33.99.

Now in my defense I did leave without purchasing it knowing I should not. After looking up the profiles and stewing I returned about 2 hours later to closely examine it and decided to take a chance.

This is the one fish I have coveted all along, but did not dare try due to cost.

It has been almost 9 months since I added my last fish and I did not plan to add any more since I know I am fully stocked right now. As a result I did not have my QT set up so I opted to drip acclimate and added the new Powder Blue after 2 hours.

I am very happy to report that after 48 hours so far all is well. The yellow tang and Powder Blue initially sparred, but tonight all is well and the three tangs and other tank mates seem to be cohabitating nicely.

More imporatnly the Powder Blue seems to be a picture of health and is aggressively eating. I will closely monitor it to ensure no problems develop. My tank is about two years old and has been disease free for well over a year(yes this was a big chance).

I do have a back up plan with another LFS who will take the Orange Shoulder and Yellow Tang if a problem arises. Long term I am looking to donate The Orange shoulder(about 7-8") to a local aquarium this fall if I cannot persuade my financial advisor (wife) to allow me to upgrade to the 120gal I really want.

If I stick with the 75gal my plans are to thin down to the following:
Maroon Clown pair, Coral Beauty, Powder Blue Tang, Mandarin dragonet and maybe the Yellow Tang. Thoughts?

I will post pics when I get the new camera hooked up.

TIA,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No blast, but reality is reality. Three tangs in a tank that size is begging for trouble....behind trouble with tangs is normally ick, especially when new additions haven't been quarantined. I would either force the immediate purchase of the 120g (hostile takeover? )or return the fish before this rough story hits rock bottom.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hoops Guru,

I know this cannot last for long. I definitely want to keep the Powder Blue though. My goal is to keep all healthy for now. I think the Orange shoulder will be leaving as early as this weekend. Realistically this fish alone is to big for a 75gal. Even if I am successful with my pleas for a bigger tank this fish is probably still pushing it even with a 120 gal.

Unfortunately, I did not know how big they would get a a year ago when I bought it and have been planing for its departure since I learned more. It has developed so nicely that I hope to find it a suitable home in a large display.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a powder blue that I was holding for a friend in a 65 and it HATED it. The confined swimming space freaked it out. It was constanty darting and swimming in short bursts as fast as it could (which is very fast) across the tank. It eventually ended up sparring with the yellow and got spiked to his death. I hope you have better luck than I did. The powder blue that I had was under 4" and NEEDED a 6' tank at least. It was very unhappy with a 3' swim span.

Good luck.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Phyl,

I did read about there potential to dart. So far so good. The sparring seems to have stopped and it seems to school with the other two tangs covering the length of the 4' tank. My plan it to eventually make it the only tang to allow maximum growth.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You using live rock?
Old 09-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My other concern is the maroon pair, which can be an awfully boisterous fish just between mates let alone other fish. With a 75g tank, it may be tough to have enough available territory when these fish get larger. Most fish get along when they are juveniles, its when they approach adult sizes that most problems seem to get out of hand.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I do have LR. I need to update my profile. I initailly seeded my base rock and now almost 2 years later have a pretty good base of LR (100+ #s plus all the coral skelatons which are also essentially LR) which the fish all tend to.

I too was most concerned about the clowns which is why I had not planned to add any more fish. So far no issues, the clowns definitely have their area, but the coral beauty is about the only one they ever chase off. They have never been bothered by any of the Tangs. I would say they are no longer juvenals, but still can grow more. I have had them about 18 months and they are fat and happy at about 3-4" with the female being larger.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok cool, I noticed you have a mandarin fish and thought maybe you just had a few scattered coral skeletons or something. You def have a large fish and invert population for a 75 gallon tank. Although it looks like you already knew that, and I am no one to talk supposodly my reef tank is "over crowded." Interestingly enough you ought to post about this on reef central as there was someone over there the other week talking about tangs adjusting to smaller confines such as aquariums as long as they as they meet thier nutritional needs.

If I were you Id keep an eye on the clowns. Toss one or both of your other tangs and just wait and see how it goes. If any of the tangs show signs of "captive distress" such as hitting the glass, darting, not eating - so on and so forth I would get a larger tank for the tangs. Other than that feed um well and keep an eye out for anything bad.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

macman7010,

I will definitely continue to monitor all. I thought I would need to get rid of the Orange shoulder long before now. It actually seems to be thriving, but this will force the issue to find him a better home. I saw a fully grown one at an LFS a few months ago and could not believe how big they really can get.

Reality is I am probably not going to be able to grow beyond the 75 gal for a while. I have decided to trim down to the following:

Powder Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Maroon Clowns, Mandarin dragonet.

That will reduce my population by half and should give them some room for a while.

Tags
blue tang, powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com