Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Powder blue thoughts

I really love powder blue tangs, I've wanted one for some time now. What size tank is the smallest anyone would recommend for a small one that could grow in it for a while? I currently have a 36 gal so I know I can't have one. Just a thought for when I decide to get a larger tank

Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

To be succesful with one I would say nothing less than a 6 foot tank and 125g.

They are kinda hard to keep though, ich magnets.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll have to get that bigger tank then
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carey what size tank do you recommend for a hippo tang, could it be happy in a 75 or not
Old 03-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

People will call me the tang police, but I firmly, very firmly believe that the blues require a 6 foot tank. Mine is a big blob of fish, fat and big and he swims an awful lot. he also jams himself into the oddest spots, he just needs a bigger than average tank.

There is always debate about yellow tangs, some people have been keeping them in smaller tanks like 55g and 75g's, I wouldnt do that myself and I dont reccomend any tang other than a bristletooth species going into a 75g. People claim success but it's a long term thing and cant be shown to be doing well after only a few months or maybe a year. My blue tang has got to be in excess of 6 inches now and he was only about an inch long when I got him, if that. He grew very very fast too.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Powder blue thoughts

Same here, my hippo was the size of a nickel less than two years ago, today he's over 6" and is still growing fast, I would add the Kole tang to the list of easier to house tangs. But I, along with Carey I see, are under the label of tang police. I have seen it with my own eyes the difference in instances of ick and other problems going away when the environment is right for these guys. Even hard tangs like powder blues do fine once calmed down.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

Thanks for your thoughts, I know that I def won't be putting a powder blue in my 36gal. Just wish I could have one, they're really cool tangs
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Powder blue thoughts

Hippos get huge. I wish people could see full grown fish at a public aquaria or on the reefs. It would really put it in perspective for those that think tangs can go in certain size tanks. For example, sailfin tangs. I don't think most people actually realize how big they get. They tend to get lumped in with yellows an purples tank size wise but IMO they need much larger.
Powder blues are gorgeous and this is a good thread showing you care about the well being of the animals we keep. It's just sad seeing some of these animals in captivity as people don't truly understand their size/behavior.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I saw a sail fin the other day that was bigger than a dinner plate.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I am of the opinion that only the bristle tooth series could be in less than a 6 ft tank. All ther tangs need a big tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue, powder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com