Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hmmm......I guess it has to do with environment too....One of the LFS that I go to has a CB in their display with a Flame and both of them are about 5 years old and they aren't much larger then mine....about 4-4.5 inches.....I hope it doesn't get to 8" that would be silly! Now I expect the Powder to get larger about 7-8" but that's ok...They have ample swim room and my total system is about 120g. After I moved my tank I redid the rock work to allow for more open swim room to accomidate the tang....

Thanks! I love that peice. My Mother-in-law got it for me. I don't know if you saw one of my other posts a while back but this coral was the reason I moved my tank and took 2 damsels out. They were nipping the Trach and I couldn't have that!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think your estimations about your fish are correct. If the CB gets more than 4" i'd be very suprised and the tang will probably get to about 7-8" like you have said, but it will take a while to get that big. And i doubt the lawnmower blenny will get more 4" inches either.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There are a few fish I would love to have but am not sure about adding to the tank. I really want a Copper Banded Butterfly (some have had with success and others not such success) I want to add a school of green chromis I would also like to add 3 bartletts anthias...of course none of these fish have been added yet and I'm not sure that any of them will be added....I have to have patients.....My father-in-law wants to put "Dori" in the tank I keep telling him that the Hippo Tang will get too big for the tank but he really wants to get one....I'm more interested in the corals at this point...
Old 02-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM
I think your estimations about your fish are correct. If the CB gets more than 4" i'd be very suprised and the tang will probably get to about 7-8" like you have said, but it will take a while to get that big. And i doubt the lawnmower blenny will get more 4" inches either.

If this is true, that is Great Info. All the Available online resources are all over exaggerating. If you go by what places like Live Aquaria spec.'s them at, you'd have to have a swimming pool size reef tank to house most of the tangs, angels, and butterfly's...

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #15
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most tangs do get very large. However i believe that the "powder tangs" and other similarly shaped tangs are some of the smaller ones. Most site say that they can get about 9-10 inches, but i would say that is rare in the aquarium. Also the Cb is a dwarf angel species and i wouldn't anticipate any of them getting bigger than 4-5". When reading about fish you have to realize that most sizes given are sizes that the fish get to in the wild. Most of these sizes will never be reached in the aquarium due to diet deficiencies and other factors that we cannot mimic completely in the home aquarium. I think liveaquaria actually has a spot on their info sheet for "size in aquarium". This is probably a fairly good assessment of size.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Powder Brown Tang......Pic update...

Well if this is helping you out also Chad I'm glad that I posted the question about the tang....I still hope that others who have this fish will respond

Thanks as always!!

I finally got a pic that kinda looks good I had to use the flas though so the rest of the tank looks like crap....oh well.....

Old 02-24-2007, 01:43 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Re: Powder Brown Tang......Pic update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
Well if this is helping you out also Chad I'm glad that I posted the question about the tang....I still hope that others who have this fish will respond

Thanks as always!!

I finally got a pic that kinda looks good I had to use the flas though so the rest of the tank looks like crap....oh well.....
That sure is a beautiful setup you have.

I love the "powder tangs" I'd still love to get one, especially when I upgrade to a 125+ gal tank, The ich problem scares me though.

I personally think the powder tangs are the most beautiful.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for the comments! I agree I love the powder tangs too. I haven't had any trouble with ich with my tang but I also don't have anything in there to harrass it either....
Old 02-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

nice setup.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
I would also like to add 3 bartletts anthias...
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...=7&item_id=170

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com