Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Powder Brown Tang

I was just looking for some feed back about this fish....anyone have one out there....how is it doing? Do you like it...??

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are an awsome looking fish. Unfortunatly they dont usually fair well in the aquarium. Very much like the powder blue, gold rim, and other similar tangs they're extremely prone to ich outbreaks and are fairly sensative overall. Don't get me wrong they can be kept, but it will be a challenge.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
It's too bad, because the Powder Blue, and Powder Brown tang's are some of the most beautiful tangs, IMO.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have heard that about both fish and that is why I have posed the question about others who have the fish. I have a Powder Brown and have had it for almost 2 months now. She (I call it a she) has grown and just about eats anything I put in the tank. She has adjusted well and is doing great. I had her on hold at the LFS for almost a month. I had them keep her in QT by herself for that month.

I would still like others to respond and give me their experience with either the blue or brown...

Thanks as always!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats good to hear you must have a very healthy tank. Just curious, what other fish are in the tank with the powder brown?? Usually that is a big factor with these fish getting sick do to stress.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have 1 false perc, 1 coral beauty (the 2 of them stay together the CB and the Tang) 1 lawn mower blenny and 1 magenta dottyback....I had a Royal Gramma but he decided to take a leap. I have kept my fish # very low...I've allowed the tank to mature and haven't really added much. I don't want to kill fish or coral for that matter. I've been adding coral frags over the last couple of months...a couple here and there. My biggest purchase is the Trachyphyllia I put in about 2 months ago. I've read too many threads where people have crammed stuff into their tanks spent tons of money to see it all die and then ask us to explain what they did wrong. I may have taken things to the inth degree with going slow but that's ok...My son and I love to sit and watch the tank (hes 18months).

If I could ever get the Powder Brown to sit still long enough to get a good pic I would post it.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
I have heard that about both fish and that is why I have posed the question about others who have the fish. I have a Powder Brown and have had it for almost 2 months now. She (I call it a she) has grown and just about eats anything I put in the tank. She has adjusted well and is doing great. I had her on hold at the LFS for almost a month. I had them keep her in QT by herself for that month.

I would still like others to respond and give me their experience with either the blue or brown...

Thanks as always!!!
Wow, You have a heck of a LFS if the'll do that for you.

Fish here sell soo fast, that your lucky if you can get the LFS to put one on hold, and if you do, the'll only hold them for a week. Much less keep them in QT by them self.

Quote:
I have 1 false perc, 1 coral beauty (the 2 of them stay together the CB and the Tang) 1 lawn mower blenny and 1 magenta dottyback....I had a Royal Gramma but he decided to take a leap. I have kept my fish # very low...I've allowed the tank to mature and haven't really added much. I don't want to kill fish or coral for that matter. I've been adding coral frags over the last couple of months...a couple here and there. My biggest purchase is the Trachyphyllia I put in about 2 months ago. I've read too many threads where people have crammed stuff into their tanks spent tons of money to see it all die and then ask us to explain what they did wrong. I may have taken things to the inth degree with going slow but that's ok...My son and I love to sit and watch the tank (hes 18months).

If I could ever get the Powder Brown to sit still long enough to get a good pic I would post it.
You have 3 REALLY big fish though. The Tang, CB, and Powerd Brown will all get 6+ Inches each. That's alot...

The lawn mower blenny's get pretty big too. I saw one at the LFS that made my jaw drop.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

2 big fish...the "tang" is the Powder Brown....I've never seen a CB get much bigger then 4 inches....Don't think for one second that the LFS did that for free!!!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
2 big fish...the "tang" is the Powder Brown....I've never seen a CB get much bigger then 4 inches....Don't think for one second that the LFS did that for free!!!!!
Ahh, I didn't think about that.. So 2, I guess that's not too bad, Depending on how big that Powder Brown grows.

Really? That's cool, everything i've read said those CB's get up to 8", As we've discussed in other threads, I've never been able to keep one long enough to find out.

I did see one at the LFS though that was about 6". He was HUGE!

-TheChad
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think your strategy is a good one. Most people rush and cram their tanks full, your right about that. The less stress the better especially for the tang. Sitting in front of my tank is one of my favorite things to do also. You'd be suprised at the stuff that lives in reef tanks that you don't even know about. Its just a matter of sitting long enough to see it all.

Very nice peice of coral also.

Tags
powder, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com