Powder Brown Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just looking for some feed back about this fish....anyone have one out there....how is it doing? Do you like it...??

Thanks!

They are an awsome looking fish. Unfortunatly they dont usually fair well in the aquarium. Very much like the powder blue, gold rim, and other similar tangs they're extremely prone to ich outbreaks and are fairly sensative overall. Don't get me wrong they can be kept, but it will be a challenge.

It's too bad, because the Powder Blue, and Powder Brown tang's are some of the most beautiful tangs, IMO.

-TheChad

I have heard that about both fish and that is why I have posed the question about others who have the fish. I have a Powder Brown and have had it for almost 2 months now. She (I call it a she) has grown and just about eats anything I put in the tank. She has adjusted well and is doing great. I had her on hold at the LFS for almost a month. I had them keep her in QT by herself for that month.

I would still like others to respond and give me their experience with either the blue or brown...

Thanks as always!!!

thats good to hear you must have a very healthy tank. Just curious, what other fish are in the tank with the powder brown?? Usually that is a big factor with these fish getting sick do to stress.

I have 1 false perc, 1 coral beauty (the 2 of them stay together the CB and the Tang) 1 lawn mower blenny and 1 magenta dottyback....I had a Royal Gramma but he decided to take a leap. I have kept my fish # very low...I've allowed the tank to mature and haven't really added much. I don't want to kill fish or coral for that matter. I've been adding coral frags over the last couple of months...a couple here and there. My biggest purchase is the Trachyphyllia I put in about 2 months ago. I've read too many threads where people have crammed stuff into their tanks spent tons of money to see it all die and then ask us to explain what they did wrong. I may have taken things to the inth degree with going slow but that's ok...My son and I love to sit and watch the tank (hes 18months).

If I could ever get the Powder Brown to sit still long enough to get a good pic I would post it.

trachyphylliats0.jpg

Ziggy953 said:
I have heard that about both fish and that is why I have posed the question about others who have the fish. I have a Powder Brown and have had it for almost 2 months now. She (I call it a she) has grown and just about eats anything I put in the tank. She has adjusted well and is doing great. I had her on hold at the LFS for almost a month. I had them keep her in QT by herself for that month.

I would still like others to respond and give me their experience with either the blue or brown...

Thanks as always!!!

Wow, You have a heck of a LFS if the'll do that for you.

Fish here sell soo fast, that your lucky if you can get the LFS to put one on hold, and if you do, the'll only hold them for a week. Much less keep them in QT by them self.

Ziggy953 said:
I have 1 false perc, 1 coral beauty (the 2 of them stay together the CB and the Tang) 1 lawn mower blenny and 1 magenta dottyback....I had a Royal Gramma but he decided to take a leap. I have kept my fish # very low...I've allowed the tank to mature and haven't really added much. I don't want to kill fish or coral for that matter. I've been adding coral frags over the last couple of months...a couple here and there. My biggest purchase is the Trachyphyllia I put in about 2 months ago. I've read too many threads where people have crammed stuff into their tanks spent tons of money to see it all die and then ask us to explain what they did wrong. I may have taken things to the inth degree with going slow but that's ok...My son and I love to sit and watch the tank (hes 18months).

If I could ever get the Powder Brown to sit still long enough to get a good pic I would post it.

You have 3 REALLY big fish though. The Tang, CB, and Powerd Brown will all get 6+ Inches each. That's alot...

The lawn mower blenny's get pretty big too. I saw one at the LFS that made my jaw drop.

-TheChad

2 big fish...the "tang" is the Powder Brown....I've never seen a CB get much bigger then 4 inches....Don't think for one second that the LFS did that for free!!!!!

Ziggy953 said:
2 big fish...the "tang" is the Powder Brown....I've never seen a CB get much bigger then 4 inches....Don't think for one second that the LFS did that for free!!!!!

Ahh, I didn't think about that.. So 2, I guess that's not too bad, Depending on how big that Powder Brown grows.

Really? That's cool, everything i've read said those CB's get up to 8", As we've discussed in other threads, I've never been able to keep one long enough to find out.

I did see one at the LFS though that was about 6". He was HUGE!

-TheChad

I think your strategy is a good one. Most people rush and cram their tanks full, your right about that. The less stress the better especially for the tang. Sitting in front of my tank is one of my favorite things to do also. You'd be suprised at the stuff that lives in reef tanks that you don't even know about. Its just a matter of sitting long enough to see it all.

Very nice peice of coral also.

Hmmm......I guess it has to do with environment too....One of the LFS that I go to has a CB in their display with a Flame and both of them are about 5 years old and they aren't much larger then mine....about 4-4.5 inches.....I hope it doesn't get to 8" that would be silly! Now I expect the Powder to get larger about 7-8" but that's ok...They have ample swim room and my total system is about 120g. After I moved my tank I redid the rock work to allow for more open swim room to accomidate the tang....

Thanks! I love that peice. My Mother-in-law got it for me. I don't know if you saw one of my other posts a while back but this coral was the reason I moved my tank and took 2 damsels out. They were nipping the Trach and I couldn't have that!!!!!!

I think your estimations about your fish are correct. If the CB gets more than 4" i'd be very suprised and the tang will probably get to about 7-8" like you have said, but it will take a while to get that big. And i doubt the lawnmower blenny will get more 4" inches either.

There are a few fish I would love to have but am not sure about adding to the tank. I really want a Copper Banded Butterfly (some have had with success and others not such success) I want to add a school of green chromis I would also like to add 3 bartletts anthias...of course none of these fish have been added yet and I'm not sure that any of them will be added....I have to have patients.....My father-in-law wants to put "Dori" in the tank I keep telling him that the Hippo Tang will get too big for the tank but he really wants to get one....I'm more interested in the corals at this point...

JM said:
I think your estimations about your fish are correct. If the CB gets more than 4" i'd be very suprised and the tang will probably get to about 7-8" like you have said, but it will take a while to get that big. And i doubt the lawnmower blenny will get more 4" inches either.

If this is true, that is Great Info. All the Available online resources are all over exaggerating. If you go by what places like Live Aquaria spec.'s them at, you'd have to have a swimming pool size reef tank to house most of the tangs, angels, and butterfly's...

-TheChad

Most tangs do get very large. However i believe that the "powder tangs" and other similarly shaped tangs are some of the smaller ones. Most site say that they can get about 9-10 inches, but i would say that is rare in the aquarium. Also the Cb is a dwarf angel species and i wouldn't anticipate any of them getting bigger than 4-5". When reading about fish you have to realize that most sizes given are sizes that the fish get to in the wild. Most of these sizes will never be reached in the aquarium due to diet deficiencies and other factors that we cannot mimic completely in the home aquarium. I think liveaquaria actually has a spot on their info sheet for "size in aquarium". This is probably a fairly good assessment of size.

Powder Brown Tang......Pic update...

Well if this is helping you out also Chad I'm glad that I posted the question about the tang....I still hope that others who have this fish will respond

Thanks as always!!

I finally got a pic that kinda looks good I had to use the flas though so the rest of the tank looks like crap....oh well.....

powderbrown2ec5.jpg

powderbrownzy6.jpg

Re: Powder Brown Tang......Pic update...

Ziggy953 said:
Well if this is helping you out also Chad I'm glad that I posted the question about the tang....I still hope that others who have this fish will respond

Thanks as always!!

I finally got a pic that kinda looks good I had to use the flas though so the rest of the tank looks like crap....oh well.....

That sure is a beautiful setup you have.

I love the "powder tangs" I'd still love to get one, especially when I upgrade to a 125+ gal tank, The ich problem scares me though.

I personally think the powder tangs are the most beautiful.

-TheChad

Thanks for the comments! I agree I love the powder tangs too. I haven't had any trouble with ich with my tang but I also don't have anything in there to harrass it either....

Back
Top Bottom