Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Poppy828
Power Compact heat issue on overflow tubes?????

Evening everyone. This may be a true novice question but I need to know for my wife's peace of mind and....well mine also.

I just finished building my canopy and installing my PC retro kit. I have 6x96w 50/50 pc's on top of a 75g. Long story as to why I went this route instead of Halides.

Anyway, I mounted all the lighting and went to put the canopy on and the reflector hits the overflow tubes (running 2 hang on the back overflows right now) I guess I could bend the reflector out so that the canopy can be put on all the way. Right now it is (canopy) hanging over the front by about 2 1/2-3". Would the heat from the 96w pc burn through the overflow tubes if I bend this out so it clears them? Or should I just bend the reflector in towards the light? If I do that then I block some of the light getting into the tank.

Not sure how to handle this. I can not mount the rear deflector differently either. I have 2 refelectors. 1 is running 4 of the pc's (front portion) the second (rear one) is running 2 96w pc's.

Any help or suggestion is much appreciated.

Thank you as always for your help and guidance.

T

Old 01-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about cutting a pice of the reflector?
Anyway I think as long as the reflector doesent tuch the tube you should be alright.
The tube is saltwater cooled from the inside

swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Poppy828
I thought of cutting that piece of the reflector. Was going to use that as a last resort in case I ever find a need to move the overflow box, I won't have holes all over the reflector. I thought of the water colling the tube, but I was not sure if the heat would outdo the cooling affects of the water. Hence my dilemma.

Thank you for your help and time.

T
Old 01-07-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey only time will tel, try it and keep am eye on it.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, flow, heat, overflow, power compact

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com