Power Filters for Saltwater Aquarium???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get a different filter for my aquarium because of my recent problems with algae. Right now all i have for filteration is a Regent 170 Hang on the Back Filter, no Bio Wheel, just a carbon pad and some phosphate remover pad i put in there. Im looking into a Emporer 280 or 4000, of the Penguin 200 or 350. Which is the best choice? I know i should really have a protien skimmer, but being a student and all im working with what i got. :) Thanks for any help!!

Don't know about those listed but I have the Tetratec 500 which works as a semi wet/dry but in a hob filter. It has the option to add a 200 watt heater to the inside of the filter to keep even heating of the water. I have this on my 20g and on my 90g. Works like a champ.

How do they do at dissolving organic matter as far as that goes? Do they cut down on algae growth? I really only have a problem with Red Slime Algae now, and am leaning towards the New Penguin 350, which looks similar to the Emporer 400. It also has a compartment to put in aditional chemical filteration of your choice. Is this a good Decision?

I don't really know about the Penguins. Emperor and Penguin are made by the same company I think. The Emperor 400 has 2 biowheels, and two compartments to put a Filter Cartridges and a container full of charcoal in each. You can slit a hole into the cartridges to add a phosphate pads etc. You can also adjust the water flow too. The 400 is made for 50 to 85 gallon aquariums, so it will heep your tank super clean. I would go with it instead of a 280. I don't have a bad algae problem and don't have a any algae-eaters or anything. It's really your choice on which one to get. I would read a bit more about each off the web and compare them with their pros and cons. HTH :)

Also, every 2-3 weeks I take out the cartridges and power hose them to get the detris off. Every year I change the charcoal, too. I would definately invest in Protein Skimmer and maybe a UV sterilizer, though. You should check ebay for skimmers.

Eh, I guess every so often, probably more like every six months. Is this bad? I've doing that on my FW, haven't really had the SW long enough to do that. Should I change t more often. BTW, do ammonia chips work well? I was thinking of doing 1/4 ammonia to 3/4 charcoal.

OK, SW chemistry is different but even in FW charcoal should be chagned out every month. Any longer than that and it starts to leach back into the water. I know the cannisters say 3 months, but it's just too long.

In SW most recommend 1 week out the month for GAC.

NO to AMMO chips. Ammonia and Nitrite need to be ZERO and if FO then nitrates should be under 40-50.

I just got a 30gal to use as a QT for an 8 week treatment. I'll be using a Aquacleaer 150 on that and changing the pads 2 or 3 times in that 8 week period. I'll be doing pwc every day to stay on top of NH3/NO2/NO3, (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate).

Back
Top Bottom