Power head placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, with Murphy's law in full effect, my UPS shipment with new lights, skimmer, and powerheads arived just after I left for work tonight. Oh well, I'll have fun tomorrow.

My question is what is the best placement for the ph's? It is a standard 75 gal and will have 4 maji-jet 1200's.

I'm thinking one high on each end of the tank and one mid level on each end. Would this get the job done?

Also, is it better to live the flow directors on or off?

I have one in each corner, pointed back towards the center. I think I get a pretty good flow pattern. I left the flow directors on.

I have a 105G tall (same footprint as a 75, just really freaking tall) and I keep 4 maxi1200s at the very top in all four corners pointed directly across the tank at eachother without the diverters. They are hooked into a redsea pro and everyone in there seems to be digging it. However, I will say that IME your aquascaping is what you ahve to accomodate. For me, I get a monster blast on my upper slope where i keep the acropora, porites, and other high flow demanding corals. The concussion from the streams hitting eachother causes a moderate flow at the bottom where I keep my clams, brains, and medium flow stuff. I personally don't believe in a "low" flow zone in my tank as even the blasting upper reef slope can't hold a candle to natural wave and tide aciton. You will have to tinker to come up with your own configuration to best accomodate your livestock. Best of luck.

This is a very rough sketch of my PH positioning, looking from top down.

Atari said:
This is a very rough sketch of my PH positioning, looking from top down.

LMAO - I'd love to see what you consider a detailed sketch. You should see my chicken scratch.

WarOrks15, no sump yet. I figured I'd stick with HOB for awhile since that is what I am more familiar with and go sump when my comfort level rises. Of course I also said I was going to start out FO with NO lighting and we know how that's turning out. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom