Power Head Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater T

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 20 gallon reef tank and i need to get the water moving. What is the best brand, size, and number for my tank. Also how should i set them up in the tank?

Thanks

I have been very happy with my many Maxi-Jet brand powerheads, cheap, quiet, reliable. With a tank that size, I would keep to powerheads under 200 gph. Try to angle them to reduce dead areas, to ensure that all the water is moving evenly. But be careful not to turn your tank into a whirlpool by having all the jets circulate water all in the same direction.

In our 10 we use our HOB penguin 350 and 2 mini jets a 404 and a 606 . We like those quite well

I also recommend the maxi-jets I used them in my last tank and they worked great.

Maxi Jets are great reliable pumps. I would also recomend you look at the Tunze Nano Streams or the Hydor Koralia pumps. They use a lot less energy and provide a wider swath of water movement.

I would go with a couple of the Koralia Nano or Koralia 1's depending on how much flow you want. They give a wider flow than the narrow path of the MaxiJets. I now use my maxijets for water changes and in my QT.

Back
Top Bottom