power heads for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

that is too much flow for a 55. you will have a hard time finding a good place to put them without causing bare spots on the bottom or tornado's in your tank. I have 2 k3's in my 55 and I feel they are allittle too strong. I got the 3's because I will be putting them in a larger tank soon. k2's should be about right. BTW these are the best powerheads I have had for the $

I have a Koralia-3 and a Koralia-1 in our 37-gallon.

With this combo we seem to have moderate water flow throughout the tank, but if I were to start over I would probably go with 4 Koralia-1's simply because of the flexibility in spot placing the water flow in more locations.

I've read that the more water flow you can get the better as long as your not creating sand-storms or plastering the fish against the glass.

I too have 2 Koralia-3's in my 55 and I feel they are a bit too strong. I have to direct the flow at each other to minimize sand storms. If I had it to do over, I would use 1 Koralia-2 and 2 Koralia-1's or 2 Koralia-2's.
Good luck.

I would have to agree on the two #2's Thats exactly what i have currently installed in my 55g. Trust me, they provide plenty of flow to the entire tank. Plus, if you have something that creates too much flow for that tank, either you will have a sand storm in the tank, or you wont be able to have low flow corals. Also, you'd be surprised as to where the flow exceeds itself when theres rock in the tank. The flow bounces off the rocks and goes just about everywhere. I have one of my koralias pointed directly at one side of my rocks, and the other pointed at the front panel and everything is perfect. IMO, two #2's work great in a 55g.

Same here. Koralias are long-lasting, durable, and get the job done well. Big fan here as well.

Good choice. Not to mention that they arent expensive at all either. I got my 2 #2's for 46$

ya i was on ebay just to check prices i had heard good things about them but was not epxecting to find them so cheap.. since i have had my tank running i have been using like 3 pond pumps and a walmart power head just to keep water circulating but it just hasnt cut it not to mention they plug up alot and ya never know it cause they dont cause much movement anyways lol....... does anyone know a good site to buy these power heads at?

Aquacave.com sells them. As im sure any other aquarium supply store would because they are a very widely use brand of powerheads. I still would suggest going to ebay though. They usually have good deals on them. And mine were cheap and brand new.

Back
Top Bottom