Power Outage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe you can try exchanging water between tanks a small amount at a time?

MikeYQM said:
Maybe you can try exchanging water between tanks a small amount at a time?

That's a great idea! Switch out oxygenated water for depleted water!

Flreefer said:
That's a great idea! Switch out oxygenated water for depleted water!

Great idea but impossible for me to do it by myself in the dark, already tried. The risk of me losing water to a spill is high also. That and im very hesitant against transferring any foreign water. If it became necessary then i would do it but hasn't gotten their yet. I think that would wear me out.

It could be 4 days and i have to sleep sometime, this whole mess is already taking a toll on me.

Oh and did i mention more storms on the way? By tonight it looks like. These tanks aint going down without a fight. Now if a tree lands on my generator im probably gonna loose my mind.

Hang in there Schism...Safe to say, we're all behind you, even if only in spirit.
Wish you and your family ( tanks included, course ), the best of luck, getting through this situation.
I never did get a generator yet and with hurricane season here, and reading about your plight, it's really moved up the priority list!! Been lucky for 8 years, and I feel like I'm pushing my luck. I better find one soon.

Flreefer said:
Hang in there Schism...Safe to say, we're all behind you, even if only in spirit.
Wish you and your family ( tanks included, course ), the best of luck, getting through this situation.
I never did get a generator yet and with hurricane season here, and reading about your plight, it's really moved up the priority list!! Been lucky for 8 years, and I feel like I'm pushing my luck. I better find one soon.

Yep 8 years its been for me and luck ran out yesterday lol.

Thanks for the supports guys. Well its mid day and so far no heat issue. No ice even needed yet. Have been running the generator hour on hour off.

Got some horrible news tho. According to AEP's website the outage for my area is an estimated 5-7 days!!!!!!!!!

Wow, i dont even know if i can keep myself alive and happy for 7 days let alone my fish and corals. If everything makes it i will be amazed. Im gonna need to turn on the halides at least a few times in 7 days, any suggestion on how long a photoperiod? Was thinking of possibly running the halide at night to keep everything happy and cut down on problems with the daytime heat.

Wow sorry man, this is such a bummer. Im so bummed for you, and wish you all the luck i can!!!

I would do 6-8 hours at night for the lights. Great idea, those halides will only make the tank hotter!

In the day, do you have a little clip on fan? Or even a stationary one? Open up the lid and agitate the water with the air to cool it if you can! Just keep on reusing those bags of ice too.

All the best of luck man:/

Gboy66 said:
Wow sorry man, this is such a bummer. Im so bummed for you, and wish you all the luck i can!!!

I would do 6-8 hours at night for the lights. Great idea, those halides will only make the tank hotter!

In the day, do you have a little clip on fan? Or even a stationary one? Open up the lid and agitate the water with the air to cool it if you can! Just keep on reusing those bags of ice too.

All the best of luck man:/

Yes i do have a large fan actually parked in front of the tank running off the generator. Havnt had to use the ice yet and it should start cooking off in 4 hours or so, so im optimistic about that.

The lows at night should be cool enough to keep the tank cool with the halides running. If not ill keep them on as long as i can up to 6-8 hours.

Tank temp is currently 79.0F and stable. Tank downstairs is cooler at about 76-77F so ok there so far.

Well its been 24hrs now, all is still well. Actually just seen a huge bristleworm in the basement tank, kinda startled me. But livestock is all still a live and counted for.

Also gramma is in a slow steady breathing pattern, no sign of problems yet. Thankfully the tank downstairs is only has 2-3 small frags from the main tank so im not too worried if i lose those.

Over 500,000 people in the state of Ohio are without power with over 300 downed lines and distribution circuits. The storm that rolled through had winds in excess of 80mph. So basically a small hurricane in the middle of Ohio. Damage so far is estimated by AEP to exceed damages from hurricane Ike in 2008.

If you cant tell im bored lol.

Yeah, great idea to run the lights at night. I think even 3-4 hours would be sufficient. There's plenty of cloudy and stormy days in the tropics too, sometimes lasting a week! Even a few hours would keep them in stasis. I'm sure your not worried about growth at this point. With the factors of gas, and heat created, just a few hours might be a more cost/risk effective option.
Anyway, just my .02!!

Flreefer said:
Yeah, great idea to run the lights at night. I think even 3-4 hours would be sufficient. There's plenty of cloudy and stormy days in the tropics too, sometimes lasting a week! Even a few hours would keep them in stasis. I'm sure your not worried about growth at this point. With the factors of gas, and heat created, just a few hours might be a more cost/risk effective option.
Anyway, just my .02!!

Thanks, that pretty much what i plan to do. And yeah with a prospect of 7 days of this growth is far from my mind. I just wanna get everything through a live. That will be tough enough.

Im sure an hour on hour off will effect things over 7 days so that kinda has be worried too. May need to whip up some saltwater tom and do a partial change with both tanks. Today is my day for weekly water changes so i dont wanna let fall behind either. Im concerned for the sps with the constant changes happening, but so far they seem to be doing well.

Ill know better tonight when i get the lights on them and see how they are reacting.

Well 36 hrs down. Everything still kicking. Halide is on right now. Temp holding stable. Gonna leave it on for maybe 4-6 hours and then off. Tank maxed out today at 80.2. No ice needed yet but sunday its supposed to be 100 so im sure ill need ice for me and the tanks.

Having a problem with the skimmer. It wont start up properly. I think the airline may be clogged. Ill have to fix in the morning so its offline till then. My house is so bright right now with the halide on, im probably attracting every thief in the area lol. Still no sleep, i might work on getting some this morning for a few.

These fish better love me after all i do for them i swear. My 2 year old daughter has less needs haha.

Just for the future go to a tackle shop and get u a bettery powered air pump for bait buckets get inexpensive about 15 bucks hear in Florida and comes with a five gallon bucket ..has saved me many times during hurricane season my tanks have made it 8 days with no power befor ....

bskerrichard27 said:
Just for the future go to a tackle shop and get u a bettery powered air pump for bait buckets get inexpensive about 15 bucks hear in Florida and comes with a five gallon bucket ..has saved me many times during hurricane season my tanks have made it 8 days with no power befor ....

Thanks ill have to find myself one or two of those, however dont think my corals would make it 8 days without light so probably would still need the generator.

Had my halide on for 4 hours last night/ this morning. Everything still lookin perfect

I used my.generator mainly for lights and when I turned off the generator I had my air pump to keep oxygen flowing ...just helps by time ....hope this helped

bskerrichard27 said:
I used my.generator mainly for lights and when I turned off the generator I had my air pump to keep oxygen flowing ...just helps by time ....hope this helped

Yeah that sounds like it would work pretty well. If i thought it has any chance of getting here by saturday i would order one, but no trucks are moving.

48 hrs

First death. Basement tank, peppermint shrimp and some snails, stirred water real good, got a super long *** extension cord to run down there today. No sign of the gramma.

Hopefully i can save what is left, need to make up some water asap.

My 29g mixed reef is stilling doing great. No bleaching or color loss and livestock is good. Skimmer is back online. Got an updated estimate for power return of Saturday July 7th Midnight :( wow

48 hrs

First death. Basement tank, peppermint shrimp and some snails, stirred water real good, got a super long *** extension cord to run down there today. No sign of the gramma.

Hopefully i can save what is left, need to make up some water asap.

My 29g mixed reef is stilling doing great. No bleaching or color loss and livestock is good. Skimmer is back online. Got an updated estimate for power return of Saturday July 7th Midnight :( wow

I just wanted to say hang in there ;) and sorry about your losses :/
They was telling us July 6th and it came on at 930am today

Back
Top Bottom