Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden

I just wanted to say hang in there and sorry about your losses :/
They was telling us July 6th and it came on at 930am today
I would take that as some hope if it were not the fact that there are entire trees laying in the streets still and power lines everywhere. Cars smashed and houses with trees on top of them. And to ice the cake, no AEP trucks or wood cutting crews. Im only hearing the occasional chainsaw.

Ill get a few pics.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I had a tank void of electricity for about 14 hours a few years ago, and I ended up losing most of the fish and all of the inverts. It was the lack of oxygen that killed everything. How about a battery powered air pump? Any local LFS offer those?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I had a tank void of electricity for about 14 hours a few years ago, and I ended up losing most of the fish and all of the inverts. It was the lack of oxygen that killed everything. How about a battery powered air pump? Any local LFS offer those?
Yes battery air pump is something im going to be looking for. Going to walmart tom. Only fish store open right now doesnt have any.

Ive never seen them for sale anywhere around here. I have pumps running in both tanks now so we will see how it goes.

If a gramma and some invert deaths is all lose after all this ill consider myself very fortunate.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crazy....I lost power today as well. Chicago was hit with a power band of storms. Out for about 6 hours now and power company says it might be days. I have no generator at all. I've been around town all day and every one in the city is sold.

I am warming water on the stove now. My tank is in the basement, and it stays cool down there. 68.2 room temp. Are they toast at that temp?

For oxygen, I have an air line with stone and I am blowing in there every 10 minutes or so. Is that helping at all. Mouth to tank is like mouth to mouth....it should help a lil eh?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea it will help and temp depends on what u got in yur tank in the 60s is pushing it
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah i dont think 60's will cut it. Look on craigslist for a generator i know a few hours after the blackout a bunch turned up on craigslist here.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or a battery back up will work for a few hours or power inverter connected to car battery
Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

A year or so ago I lost power here ,but a. Mad rush to home depot for a generator with the proper cord solved my problem,.... sometimes I think we learn some really valuable lessons thru times like these,...it's kind of hard to invest a bunch of $ for something that may just sit in the garage for months and months but man when the time comes that you really need it,...it's worth every penny.
I'm really seriously thinking of the battery back up for my ecotech pump just to keep the water circulating until I hook up the generator etc ...wishing you the best !!!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good luck with the power! Mine (in wv) was suppose to be out till Tuesday but it came on yesterday. There are crews working everywhere and the hospital I work at went into lockdown good luck and I'm sorry about the guys that have passed
Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

**** dude hope all is well with the tanks. Driving up from Florida now , went through SC/NC today and saw some of the wreckage from the storm , hear it could be a while . Best of luck !

Tags
power outage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com