Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Being in CA..we dont loose power often. And when we do, it is just a fluke and is on again within several hours.

However, in these situations, we dont have a generator either. What i use is a big extension cord and our Toyota Tacoma! Bought it used with the sports package a year ago. The sports package cantains an actual electrical outlet in the bed. Just turn the car on and power! Definitly definitly worth it and very useful

Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well lets just say im 27 and i have never seen the power out here in ohio for like more than 6-8 hours. The prospect of it being a week feels like im in a southern state that just got hit by a hurricane.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Well lets just say im 27 and i have never seen the power out here in ohio for like more than 6-8 hours. The prospect of it being a week feels like im in a southern state that just got hit by a hurricane.
Lol isn't that exactly what happened only with a tornado ? ( also I'm not sure what is considered " southern " states , as I'm from Canada so all your state are south if you ask me :-p
Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol no there was no tornado, this was just 85 mph winds and rain. Pretty much a hurricane
Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Oh wow. I thought power went out more often up there
Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! This sounds like Joplin last year! Needless to say I feel your pain.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Yes battery air pump is something im going to be looking for. Going to walmart tom. Only fish store open right now doesnt have any.

Ive never seen them for sale anywhere around here. I have pumps running in both tanks now so we will see how it goes.

If a gramma and some invert deaths is all lose after all this ill consider myself very fortunate.
They are usually found in the fishing section, used to keep bail alive
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
A year or so ago I lost power here ,but a. Mad rush to home depot for a generator with the proper cord solved my problem,.... sometimes I think we learn some really valuable lessons thru times like these,...it's kind of hard to invest a bunch of $ for something that may just sit in the garage for months and months but man when the time comes that you really need it,...it's worth every penny.
I'm really seriously thinking of the battery back up for my ecotech pump just to keep the water circulating until I hook up the generator etc ...wishing you the best !!!
Don't forget to fire your generator up once a month to make sure it is going to start, during a power outage is not the time to try and figure what is wrong, also don't forget to use fuel stabilizer as the gas will go bad
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral

Don't forget to fire your generator up once a month to make sure it is going to start, during a power outage is not the time to try and figure what is wrong, also don't forget to use fuel stabilizer as the gas will go bad
Yep ,I do all those things... Thanks., but good info for anyone thinking about picking one up .. Also., buy more gas than you think you may need because once theres a power shortage gas is going to be tough to find.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral

P.s.. Sp sorry to hear about all the power blackouts thru out the country....best of luck to everyone out there trying to get by!!

Tags
power outage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com