Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #61
Fish R friends, not food!

Hey Schism, how are things today? Hope all is doing ok. Wish there was something we could do to help.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
Hey Schism, how are things today? Hope all is doing ok. Wish there was something we could do to help.
Well its not been 72 hours. My main 29g is still doing great, it even appear ive had some kind of plankton bloom. Little things all over the glass and my clowns are going crazy eating them. Had the lights on for 5 hours last night the fish readily chowed down on some frozen mysis. Everything looks healthy. Also it appears i hatched a crap load of baby turbos everywhere. There are literally hundreds all over the glass and rocks. Lol crazy when im getting hatches after 3 days without power lol

The 20 long in the basement is a different story. Im pretty sure the tank is done for. Was not much livestock at all but it looks like the few initial deaths caused a nice ammonia spike and rest of snails and hermits appear dead. When power returns im going to drain the tank, cook the rock and start over. Not a big deal as i had plans for this 20long anyways.

Things lost in the 20L include
1 royal gramma
1 peppermint shrimp
Few nassarius snails
Few nerites and ceriths
And few hermits
Oh a and a pom pomless pom pom crab

Just 3 small frags from main tank that can easily be replaced.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #63
Fish R friends, not food!

Sorry to hear of the losses. Hopefully power will be back early.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

I finally got my hands on a generator this morning from a tool rental company. We got their last one. I am definately buying one once we get through this.

Luckily, all mine are ok so far. It was only about 24 hours without power. Kenya tree looks bad but it will probably be ok. Those guys are very hardy. Foxface is really stressed out. Hope he doesn't get sick.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher
I finally got my hands on a generator this morning from a tool rental company. We got their last one. I am definately buying one once we get through this.

Luckily, all mine are ok so far. It was only about 24 hours without power. Kenya tree looks bad but it will probably be ok. Those guys are very hardy. Foxface is really stressed out. Hope he doesn't get sick.
Edit: the power is still out for me. The fish got power though. They get climate control while I sweat my balls off....lol!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher

Edit: the power is still out for me. The fish got power though. They get climate control while I sweat my balls off....lol!
Lol i know the feeling. I got lucky yesterday when the mayor who is my neighbor brought me a window AC to use with my generator, i was and still am so thankful. Dont have to worry about putting ice in the tank now either.

I seen my first sign of hope a bit ago. 2 AEP trucks fixing a power line on my block. First truck i have seen in 3 days. I still expect a long wait though.

Skimmer is offline again. Not sure whats going on with it. Possibly the constant starting stoping and starting every hour?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have my own generator since my episode, but I couldn't convince my client to purchase one for his tank at the fitness club, so I ended up getting one of these-
Air-Pod Battery Back-up Air Pump | ThatPetPlace.com
I'm confident that this would hold me for a few days easy, providing the temp didn't get way out of whack.

*edit*
Don't think this thing turns on immediately when the power goes out. You have to turn it on. What it's meant for is a fresh water tank that you would use air stones full time. When the power goes out, the batteries keep it going. I just have it on a shelf for emergencies.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POWER!!!!!!!!!

Finally wow, 104 hrs later.

Basement tank is toast. I have a tank to rebuild.

My 29g is perfect. No losses im aware of. No bleaching, necrosis or anything of the sort. I could not be happier! Im totally gonna be rethinking my 20L and doing something different. Also will be getting a couple the battery air pumps for future disasters.

I hope someone takes a lesson from this and that is, get a generator. I can only imagine what the devastation is to surrounding fish stores and fellow reefers.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome ! Glad to hear it !
Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiereefer
Awesome ! Glad to hear it !
Thanks, i feel like i just spent 4 and a half days in a third world country lol. I might actually be able to some sleep now.

Tags
power outage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com