Power Outage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
I just wanted to say hang in there ;) and sorry about your losses :/
They was telling us July 6th and it came on at 930am today

I would take that as some hope if it were not the fact that there are entire trees laying in the streets still and power lines everywhere. Cars smashed and houses with trees on top of them. And to ice the cake, no AEP trucks or wood cutting crews. Im only hearing the occasional chainsaw.

Ill get a few pics.

I had a tank void of electricity for about 14 hours a few years ago, and I ended up losing most of the fish and all of the inverts. It was the lack of oxygen that killed everything. How about a battery powered air pump? Any local LFS offer those?

mr_X said:
I had a tank void of electricity for about 14 hours a few years ago, and I ended up losing most of the fish and all of the inverts. It was the lack of oxygen that killed everything. How about a battery powered air pump? Any local LFS offer those?

Yes battery air pump is something im going to be looking for. Going to walmart tom. Only fish store open right now doesnt have any.

Ive never seen them for sale anywhere around here. I have pumps running in both tanks now so we will see how it goes.

If a gramma and some invert deaths is all lose after all this ill consider myself very fortunate.

Crazy....I lost power today as well. Chicago was hit with a power band of storms. Out for about 6 hours now and power company says it might be days. I have no generator at all. I've been around town all day and every one in the city is sold.

I am warming water on the stove now. My tank is in the basement, and it stays cool down there. 68.2 room temp. Are they toast at that temp?

For oxygen, I have an air line with stone and I am blowing in there every 10 minutes or so. Is that helping at all. Mouth to tank is like mouth to mouth....it should help a lil eh?

Yea it will help and temp depends on what u got in yur tank in the 60s is pushing it

Yeah i dont think 60's will cut it. Look on craigslist for a generator i know a few hours after the blackout a bunch turned up on craigslist here.

Or a battery back up will work for a few hours or power inverter connected to car battery

A year or so ago I lost power here ,but a. Mad rush to home depot for a generator with the proper cord solved my problem,.... sometimes I think we learn some really valuable lessons thru times like these,...it's kind of hard to invest a bunch of $ for something that may just sit in the garage for months and months but man when the time comes that you really need it,...it's worth every penny.
I'm really seriously thinking of the battery back up for my ecotech pump just to keep the water circulating until I hook up the generator etc ...wishing you the best !!!

Good luck with the power! Mine (in wv) was suppose to be out till Tuesday but it came on yesterday. There are crews working everywhere and the hospital I work at went into lockdown:( good luck and I'm sorry about the guys that have passed:(

**** dude hope all is well with the tanks. Driving up from Florida now , went through SC/NC today and saw some of the wreckage from the storm , hear it could be a while . Best of luck !

Being in CA..we dont loose power often. And when we do, it is just a fluke and is on again within several hours.

However, in these situations, we dont have a generator either. What i use is a big extension cord and our Toyota Tacoma! Bought it used with the sports package a year ago. The sports package cantains an actual electrical outlet in the bed. Just turn the car on and power! Definitly definitly worth it and very useful

Well lets just say im 27 and i have never seen the power out here in ohio for like more than 6-8 hours. The prospect of it being a week feels like im in a southern state that just got hit by a hurricane.

Schism said:
Well lets just say im 27 and i have never seen the power out here in ohio for like more than 6-8 hours. The prospect of it being a week feels like im in a southern state that just got hit by a hurricane.

Lol isn't that exactly what happened only with a tornado ? ( also I'm not sure what is considered " southern " states , as I'm from Canada so all your state are south if you ask me :p

Lol no there was no tornado, this was just 85 mph winds and rain. Pretty much a hurricane

Schism said:

Oh wow. I thought power went out more often up there

Yes battery air pump is something im going to be looking for. Going to walmart tom. Only fish store open right now doesnt have any.

Ive never seen them for sale anywhere around here. I have pumps running in both tanks now so we will see how it goes.

If a gramma and some invert deaths is all lose after all this ill consider myself very fortunate.

They are usually found in the fishing section, used to keep bail alive

A year or so ago I lost power here ,but a. Mad rush to home depot for a generator with the proper cord solved my problem,.... sometimes I think we learn some really valuable lessons thru times like these,...it's kind of hard to invest a bunch of $ for something that may just sit in the garage for months and months but man when the time comes that you really need it,...it's worth every penny.
I'm really seriously thinking of the battery back up for my ecotech pump just to keep the water circulating until I hook up the generator etc ...wishing you the best !!!

Don't forget to fire your generator up once a month to make sure it is going to start, during a power outage is not the time to try and figure what is wrong, also don't forget to use fuel stabilizer as the gas will go bad

Holygral said:
Don't forget to fire your generator up once a month to make sure it is going to start, during a power outage is not the time to try and figure what is wrong, also don't forget to use fuel stabilizer as the gas will go bad

Yep ,I do all those things... Thanks., but good info for anyone thinking about picking one up .. Also., buy more gas than you think you may need because once theres a power shortage gas is going to be tough to find.

Holygral said:

P.s.. Sp sorry to hear about all the power blackouts thru out the country....best of luck to everyone out there trying to get by!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom