Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Power Outage!

Major storm ripped through the area and power has been out since 3:45pm today. Houses damaged, trees and power lines down everywhere. No estimated time of power return and i have 2 tanks both have struggled. Rumors going around that power may not return until sunday.

Luckily i had the generator in storage. I still have one tank without power that ive been stirring, hopefully everything makes it outta this alive. 2 days with no power is sketchy. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-662897393.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	103659  

Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Power has been out approx 7 hours now. My main reef is chugging along on the generator thank god but my tank in the basement is not that fortunate. No extension cord to reach that far. And its pitch black down there making seeing very hard with a single mag lite and no help.

I see my gramma leaning against a rock, still alive. I am trying to stir the water about every half an hour. Temp has dropped to 76.

Went to get more gas for the generator. Easily costing me 30 bucks so far in gas just to keep it running. Only one gas station in town has power and they are out of gas as of 10:30 so ill either have to drive in the morning 20 miles to get gas or hopefully power is on by then, however no estimate still and no power trucks around. Lines still down everywhere. Nearby cities are scrambling for gas, what a nightmare.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Best of luck with it Schism...Hope it comes back on for you. The generator won't run the filtration for both tanks?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Link many cords together to get power down there perhaps? Any neighbors with extension cords to help?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too many extension cords will cause a fire. They will heat up and the cords will start to melt and arc. please DO NOT connect more then 3 heavy gauge cords together. The longer the stretch of cords the more heat they will produce therefor creating a fire hazard.

You'll also wanna make sure the cord is rated to handle the wattage. As you link cords together the wattage has longer to travel and will conduct heat inside the cord. Many house fires are started this way. I've seen it too many times where people plug something from the second floor into the basement and are running a heavy duty appliance.

Anything with a motor like your generator will create an issue if too many cords are used.

I've seen a vacuum cleaner start a fire because of an extension cord.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow....I had no idea. Scratch my advice. Be careful!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wrap blankets around your tanks to keep them warm. Stir the water up as much as you can. Is there any way to move the livestock from the non-functioning tank to your working tank?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I say conserve gas and turn on the pumps for an hour or so and then let the sit for an hour. Good advice about using blankets.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the help guys, and yes that is the issue with the cords, from outside where the generator is to All the way in the basement where the tank is is well over 100 feet.

Unfortunately most people are not home or skipped town because of the 2-4 day power outage forecast. I may have to get a 100' cord tomorrow. Everything within a good 20 miles is out of power i believe.

I threw a blanket on and the temp rose a bit so thats good. However not sure how the oxygen level is doing this long with sporadic stirring.

I cannot out in running tank due to aggression issues, and i dont wanna any live stock or multiple live stock dying because of that. Also the gramma is impossible to catch in the dark, i dont have any help. Just me here. Wife and kid are in at her parents.

Im sitting on the back porch guarding the generator with my .45 lol. Stolen generators have already happened a few times today. This town is a madhouse.

I may be able to catch any love stock and put in a bucket upstairs with a powerhead hooked up to the generator but that has to wait till tomorrow if i can get some help.

I dont think i can afford to keep this thing running for 4 days so i hope to god its not that long. Also banks are down and only places open are only accepting cash so its hard to get much of anything right now.

My biggest worry is tom, when its 95 degrees and i have no air conditioning, im think my tank is gonna over heat so i may have to stock up on ice too. Gonna be a long weekend
Old 06-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKBreen
I say conserve gas and turn on the pumps for an hour or so and then let the sit for an hour. Good advice about using blankets.
I was thinking this too, just wasnt sure if that repeatly would cause a problem. But thanks, i may be doing that tomorrow when my gas supply starts getting low. Driving to get gas tom somewhere whatever is open and filling up a few cans, i will ration those.

Tags
power outage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com