Power Outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just went through a power outage due to a summer thunder storm. I had one Maxi-jet 1200 agitating the surface, powered by an APCC UPS. It ran for 3 and a half hours until the power came back on.

There's one of my "toys" that was worth the money :D

I need to do something like that. We lost power for about 8 hours last week and I had nothing. Some people in the area were without power a week!

How big of one would you need for a heater and a PH for a few hours?

I am in S. IN, across the river from Louisville, KY. We had alot of wind damage last week that took out a few power lines.

Mine's an XS 800 by APCC. Based on the draw of a Maxi-Jet 1200, I should get over 5 hours run time on it. With the heater, probably less than half that. They have a chart somewhere on their website, where you can determine what run-time you'll get

I love my APCs. Wouldn't run a computer without one, just for the level current.

I've got a lot hooked up to mine that has my tank supplied. Mine's mostly to prevent minor spikes and uneven current. Better for everything.

Definitely well-worth the price of a higher end brand.

yeah, but if only UPS' were cheaper!!! you need a relatively large VA to keep your pumps and heaters working (personally i wouldn't worry about hooking up the MH's)

Me neither. My goal was to keep some level of current flowing (water I mean) and a heater (in case it's winter). All I have is the heater and one Maxi-Jet running. Everything else, lights, skimmer and fuge are off. I'm aiming for maximum uptime.

Basically, I figure $200 for a fairly good UPS is a good investment to protect the money and time I've invested so far in my tank. Not to mention protecting the little critters.

Back
Top Bottom