power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lloydxmas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a new home so I am about to start my first sw build. I was wondering how people handle their tank when the power goes out. What is the best solution to keep everything alive until the power comes back? I know buying a back up generator for the house would be the best bet but let's face it I don't have the money for that! All answers are welcome. Thank you!

I have an old deep cycle battery from my boat and a power inverter. Won't do much if you aren't home but, for the short times I'm away from home if the power went out, lets it work out fine for me. I've run my return pump, heater, and power heads for 2 days straight off of it with no problems.

A couple options. For when you are away get a decent backup power supply(used for computers) and plug in just the life support equipment into that. Get an inexpensive small generator and extension cords to power just the essentials while you are home. Also heard some have used their car(s) with an inverter in a pinch.

I know bubblers are a no no in salt water but there are plenty of battery powered air pumps out there that should be just fine to use for a day or two. It's also much much cheaper and easier than the other options

Bubblers a not recommended because of salt spray. But in the event of a power outage one can be a necessary life support device. Battery powered ones can be handy in these situations Just make sure the one you get is powerful enough to pump air to the bottom of your tank. Some are fairly weak.

They are pretty good ways to try and keep everything alive. Never thought about that stuff. I was thinking I would have to stir the water or something like that.

Totally basic is using a juice jug, dunking it and pouring the water back in to oxegenate. I have a bubbler that I've used twice and it keeps the water circulating. Costco no sells heavy duty battery back up units, I plan on getting one to keep one pump and the heater running incase of an outage...

Totally basic is using a juice jug, dunking it and pouring the water back in to oxegenate. I have a bubbler that I've used twice and it keeps the water circulating. Costco no sells heavy duty battery back up units, I plan on getting one to keep one pump and the heater running incase of an outage...

Pumps don't draw much electricity but heaters and chillers do. Keep that in mind. A inexpensive computer UPS is generally 500-1000 watts which will run a computer drawing a couple of hundred watts for a half hour, maybe. Your heater may be 100-400 watts or as much as a computer when it's running.

A inexpensive computer UPS is generally 500-1000 watts which will run a computer drawing a couple of hundred watts for a half hour, maybe. Your heater may be 100-400 watts or as much as a computer when it's running.

Agreed, A computer UPS is designed to give you long enough to save your work & get the computer safely shut down in the event of an outage. I recommend a deep cycle marine battery & inverter as well...... a car battery will do, but won't last as long.

There is a pump that comes with its own rechargeable battery. I'm not sure offhandedly what its called but I can get a link to it tomorrow.

Minnow pumps. Those and battery backups for computers. I have plans to put together this and a car battery w/ inverter...but never got around to it. No 3 day power outage for me this summer!

You can probably DIY a flashlight that you spin the handle to generate power. Kipkay on YouTube did something similar (to charge his phone I believe)

I will have to look into this stuff. Such good ideas I'm glad I asked! I was hesitant to ask for the risk of sounding stupid.

There are several types of posters. Some just want confirmation for stuff they have already done or are hell bent on doing. But most are folks like we all were, simply trying to figure this hobby out. Nobody knows it all...but there are a group of folks on this forum with excellent info I wish I had when starting out. Forums like AA are one of the best resources you could have to be successful. Even if we do argue some. ;)

There are several types of posters. Some just want confirmation for stuff they have already done or are hell bent on doing. But most are folks like we all were, simply trying to figure this hobby out. Nobody knows it all...but there are a group of folks on this forum with excellent info I wish I had when starting out. Forums like AA are one of the best resources you could have to be successful. Even if we do argue some. ;)

"Some" arguing? That's putting it lightly ;) but its usually in good spirits. Although the occasional jerkbag does come along just to stir the pot.

Well I do appreciate everyone's quick responses. Thank you. Now I feel a little more confident I can do this.

Back
Top Bottom